Saturday, November 1, 2014

By Anonymous
Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple.
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Happy Fall to the northern hemisphere! Halloween (and Fall in general) tends to be one of the big "moments" for special indie releases. There's something inspiring about the leaves changing and the crisp air.

We're all about fall collections over at Indie Know. Here are some of our favorite go-to's for the season!  


I've seen a lot of love lately for Candied Apple from Femme Fatale's 2012 Handful of Treats Halloween Collection, and I am in complete agreement. The eyeshadow itself looks rather unassuming, a rosey, almost-burgundy shade, but when applied, the green duochrome reveals itself under the light. The colour may seem a bit intimidating, but it can be made surprisingly wearable, as done by the Maquillage Magpie in this EOTD post.

Valentine's Pick: Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches

The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches was a limited edition Halloween scent from 2011 based on a painting by Henry Fuseli. Its notes are listed as "Black sandalwood, woodsmoke, Terebinth pine, blue cypress, styrax, frankincense, chamomile maroc, and nutmeg."

To me, it's the perfect fall scent; it conjures up Thanksgiving walks through the small-town Midwestern neighborhood where some of my husband's relatives live, where you see trails of gray smoke rising up into the chilly sky as people burn piles of leaves in their yard. It isn't a pleasant scent, exactly--it smells intensely and realistically of smoke and pine needles and cool air, and not everyone wants to smell like a pile of burning leaves! Because of this, I actually don't wear it all that often, passing over it in favor of warm, spicy, cozy scents much of the time, but the partial bottle I have is still one of my favorite perfumes of all time because I find it so deeply evocative of autumn and pleasant memories of family.


The decadently creamy lip balms from Haus of Gloi are an obvious favorite of many people, and we've already taken a look at their yummy blueberry blend from the summer collection. Between the decadently moisturizing coconut oil base to the drool-worthy fragrance blends, it's really hard to say no!

I always keep a Haus of Gloi lip balm handy for chapped emergencies, but something about the Pumpkin Lavender blend has made it a mainstay favorite of mine all through the autumn and even into the deep winter. Pumpkin fragrances often run the risk of turning into super-spiced-gourmandy-sweets, but Pumpkin Lavender is a more floral/vegetal blend that stands out above the rest. I shy away from lavender because I find it leans either sharply medicinal or too "old-lady-granny-franny" but combining it with fresh pumpkin gives it a pleasingly sweet yet dry edge that prevents it from slipping into sugary sweet-treat territory. 

AG's Pick: Dolly's Polish in Autumn


One of my favorite experiences in the indie beauty world is when an especially talented creator can change my mind about something I previously disliked. Darling Clandestine helped me find the appeal in earthy and woodsy notes, Limnit Lipsticks made me feel beautiful in grey lipstick, and now Angi of both Dolly's Polishes and Ajevie's Decant Circles is making me fall in love with red nail polish.

Somehow I never understood the demand for red polish, but Dolly's Polish in Autumn is making me reconsider. This warm red has enough translucency, shine, and sparkle to catch my eye, and I think it will be one of my most-worn polishes as we move into autumn. My swatch here shows the 2013 version, but the Dolly's team has released a 2014 update which looks even smoother and more beautiful.

Jessye's Pick: Haus of Gloi's The Horseman

Four years ago, The Husband and I got married the day before Halloween (Happy Anniversary, Monkey!). And October has always been an eventful month so Autumn is always about us. And we regularly spend Autumn trying to find something that makes us both happy.

I'm still so new to the indie scene that there is very little that I have as a "go to," if anything. BUT this has become my go to for him.

He can't stand having a "smell," whereas it drives me crazy when I can't smell him because so many of my memories are linked to scents. I bought Haus of Gloi's The Horseman Bubbling Scrub on a whim, thinking it would be fun to try. And we both fell in lust with it. It is masculine and sexy but soft and not at all overwhelming. We loved it so much that I bought him the perfume oil to use as a cologne. And then they came out with whipped soap and pumpkin butter- how could I resist? He usually just uses whatever tail ends I have lying around from products I've been reviewing, but he hasn't picked up anything else since I got him these. Pretty sure, I'm going to have to buy the complete set every Fall, so we both have something to enjoy the smell of on him.

I'm not going to get into the amazingness of Haus of Gloi's products because Kristin and I are planning a gigantic Yule review for the end of the month, but this is by the far the best thing I have ever bought for my husband.

~~~~~

What about you readers? What are your must-haves and favorites for the season? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment