Saturday, November 8, 2014

By AG

Hi everyone! A new month means a new set of limited edition releases from Shiro Cosmetics and Detrivore Cosmetics, and I'm very excited to show you this beautiful set of colors. I especially love that the two Detrivore shades are named after unusual plants, and Shiro's Color of the Month is making me so ready for Thanksgiving.

On a disclosure note, I want to mention that I purchased the eyeshadows, but the lip gloss was a very kind free surprise. Thank you, Shiro team!

Let's take a look at these new colors!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: November’s Color of the Month is Turkey Coma: the perfect shade to wear while you sit back, undo a button or two, and contemplate your life choices. Happy Thanksgiving!

Matte mocha with a subtle scattering of cranberry sparks. Suggestion by Tessa W.

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, magnesium myristrate, iron oxide, tin oxide, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silicon dioxide. Lip-safe!

Personal Comments: Turkey Coma is a deep chocolate-y brown with big cranberry sparkles. Just as the description says, the sparkles are reasonably subtle (y'know, for sparkles) but do show up better in person than on camera. I love how rich the base shade is, and I love that you can either use this as a staple neutral shade or foil it to bring out the sparkles and spice it up.

Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. Jar photos and standard swatch photo taken in natural light, macro photo taken under indoor lights to better capture the sparkles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Not Lip Safe

Deep indigo with a subtle red shimmer.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, ferric ferrocyanide.

Personal Comments: The Shiro site's swatch photo for Datura appears as a bright cobalt blue on my screen, so I was surprised to find this shade is more of a grayed out military blue in person. It has a camera-shy shift that's pretty apparent in person when you apply it over a sticky base. If you enlarge the collage above you can see the red sparkles which make up the shift in the macro photo, but I stuck it under my bright indoor lights for good measure:

Detrivore Datura, patted over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy

Like so many beautiful shadows, this one definitely benefits from being viewed in person. I think the very cool-toned blue-gray base and the warm red shift contrast each other beautifully. It remains smooth and opaque when blended out (not true for all shimmery shadows!) so it's a really versatile shade. Right now I'm wearing it in my outer corner, but I'm looking forward to trying it over a sticky base on my lid to really pull out the shift.

Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Not Vegan, Lip Safe

Delicate soft pink with golden shift.

Ingredients: serecite mica, magnesium myristrate, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide, carmine.

Personal Comments: I'm not much of a pink lover, but Mandrake won me over at first swatch. It's the most delicate pink with a gold duochrome. The gold is shy in photos, so I stuck it under my bright indoor lights to catch the macro photo you see above. The duochrome is moderate - definitely noticeable over a sticky base, but not over bare skin or a silicone base. I'm wearing this on my eyes right now over a silicone base; the pink appears lighter than it does here and has a soft sheen and sparkle. 

Caitlin mentioned this blends out to a lovely blush, so I gave that a shot. True to her word, this blends out very easily and doesn't have scary levels of pigmentation - look for my freckle in the photo below. I swatched it next to Detrivore's blush in Vow (reviewed here) because they looked pretty close:

Detrivore products from left to right: Mandrake eyeshadow and Vow blush, both blended over bare skin

I was losing light rapidly at this point so the photo isn't quite as color accurate as I'd hoped. Though they look nearly identical here, Vow is a shade or two darker than Mandrake and has a little more rose or mauve to it. Additionally, the finishes are pretty drastically different - Mandrake's sparkles stick around for a shimmery, slightly gold-tinted finish, whereas Vow has a near-matte finish.

"Pink with gold duochrome" also makes me think immediately of Fyrinnae's beloved Rapunzel Had Extensions shadow, so I swatched them side by side as well:

From left to right: Fyrinnae Rapunzel Had Extensions, Detrivore Mandrake, both swatched over UDPP and Pixie Epoxy

Nope, totally different! Fyrinnae's RHE is much peachier than Mandrake, and the gold shift is not nearly as shy.

For the main collage: Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. Jar photos and standard swatch photo taken in natural light, macro photo taken under indoor lights to better capture the gorgeous duochrome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned at the top, the Shiro team also very kindly included a free custom gloss in my order. I was really admiring the gloss in the Facebook announcement for these products, so I was blown away by the team's generous inclusion! This gloss is made with Detrivore's Mandrake shadow, which means it is not vegan (contains carmine). It is of moderate opacity and has the Pink Frosting flavor. Here's how it swatches:


As with almost all custom glosses I've seen/tried/mixed, Mandrake darkens when added to the gloss. A sparkly shade can make for a frosty finish, but when I apply one layer (one pull from the tube) of this gloss, it's more shiny than frosty. One layer is pretty (if slightly lip line-y), but when I add another layer (a second pull from the tube) suddenly it turns into My Lips But Better And With A Gold Duochrome. I absolutely love it. Truly duochrome lip glosses are hard to come by, and though this one is not an especially strong duochrome, it's prominent enough to spot from conversational distance. If you're looking for a "neutral with a twist" gloss, I highly recommend picking one of these up.

It looks like the Pink Frosting flavor is the same one used in Nic Cage Nibbling Petit Fours in a Posh Victorian Tearoom. It does indeed smell like very sweet frosting, and the scent dissipates quite quickly after application.

I don't think I've addressed the Shiro gloss formula's longevity in my previous raves, so I took notes as I wore this shade. Two layers lasted through a mug of hot cider (with surprisingly little transfer to the cup) and a glass of water before finally succumbing to a fajita two and a half hours later. Considering I can't go five minutes without drinking or snacking, I think this is excellent wear time. The plush formula slowly got slightly tacky before wearing down to a very thin layer hugging my lips, but to my surprise, the gold duochrome hung on to the bitter end. I didn't notice any bleeding or feathering. As always, I can only say great things about this beautiful and super comfortable formula.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, the Shiro and Detrivore limited edition colors for November! Are you planning to pick any up?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment