Saturday, April 12, 2014

By AG

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to show you the new collection of lip tints from Shiro Cosmetics!

First, let me take a moment to tell you about website and product changes. On April 2, Caitlin and her team revealed a gorgeous new website and a number of changes to the permanent lineup. Intertubes (the brand's colorful lip products) have been discontinued and replaced with Miyazaki-themed tinted lip balms, which I'll be showing you today. I'm hearing rumors the Shiro team is working on a new lipstick formula that will come in a variety of colors. Also, the shop is now stocking Detrivore Cosmetics! If you missed our previous post on the distribution agreement between Shiro and Detrivore, you can read about it here. The site itself looks beautiful. You can now create an account and save products to a wishlist, and they've done lovely swatches for all the products. Caitlin was kind enough to visit /r/indiemakeupandmore to chat about the website and product changes - check out her comment here for more information. Congratulations on the beautiful overhaul, Shiro team!


On to the lip tints! These are shiny new tinted lip balms inspired by Hayao Miyazaki and his work on some beloved Studio Ghibli films. All five colors come in silver lip balm tubes with artwork by Caitlin on the side. They're $5 a piece, or you can get the whole collection for $22.50.

Here are my bare lips for reference:

Now that you know what we're working with, let's check out some swatches!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: You’d think they’d never seen a girl and a cat on a broom before…

Deep purple in the tube, applies as a medium-sheer berry.

Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #33, blue #1, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.

Comes in a 0.15 oz round silver tube.

Personal Comments: This one surprised me! Despite how sheer it looked on my arm, it somehow managed to noticeably darken my lips. Unfortunately the effect didn't show up quite as strong in my lip swatch above as it did in person, so you'll have to trust me when I say this is a great beginner's berry/vampy color. Unlike all the other shades, this one highlighted a dry patch on my lips and fell into my lip lines a bit. Fortunately, none of this was visible from a couple of feet away, so I'm not too concerned. If anyone is close enough to your mouth to see this product's minor faults, they'll probably have other things on their mind!

I don't have a ton of (now-discontinued) Intertubes, but I noticed this particular shade looked similar to a few I own. Here are some hasty comparison swatches:

From left to right: Tinted balm in A Girl and A Cat, Intertubes in Three Wolf Moon, Yo Dawg, Team Buffy, Ridiculously Photogenic

As you can see, the new tinted balm in A Girl and A Cat looks closest to the Intertube in Three Wolf Moon. If you were hoping to get your hands on Three Wolf Moon, this will likely be a good substitute.

This shade is based on Jiji, the adorable black cat from Kiki's Delivery Service.

Purchase Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Tell me who you are. Are you a big dust bunny?

Sheer, pretty apricot.

Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, yellow #6, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.

Comes in a 0.15 oz round silver tube.

Personal Comments: This is one of the most sheer colors in the collection. It doesn't build up much, but there's enough pigment to give a nice brightening effect to my lips. This could be a fun shade to use in a quick, casual summer look.

This shade is based on the delightfully creepy Catbus from My Neighbor Totoro

Purchase Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Once you do something, you never forget. Even if you can’t remember.

Summery medium coral, a match for our former Why Not Zoidberg color.

Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #40, yellow #6, red #27, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.

Comes in a 0.15 oz round silver tube.

Personal Comments: Let's start with the most important question: Is this actually a replacement for the beloved Intertube in Why Not Zoidberg?

Top: Tinted balm in It's Called Love
Bottom: Intertube in Why Not Zoidberg?

Yup! I'm calling it a perfect color match. Why Not Zoidberg is somewhat more pigmented than the tinted balm in the swatch, but It's Called Love builds up so well, it looks nearly identical on the lips.

This is a lovely, obnoxiously bright coral, and one of the most buildable shades in the collection. I can imagine it will continue to be one of the most frequently recommended Shiro products. What more can I say? It's a classic Shiro color for a reason, and I think everyone will be more than satisfied with the new and improved formula.

This shade is based on No-Face from Spirited Away, and I promise it won't eat you. Maybe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: A heart’s a heavy burden.

Bright coral-orange in the tube, applies a bit pinker than you might expect! Will leave behind a light stain.

Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #27, red #6, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.

Comes in a 0.15 oz round silver tube.

Personal Comments: Like It's Called Love, this shade builds up really well, which gives it great versatility. Though at first glance this appears to be a fiery warm red, Shiro's description is dead on - it almost reads as bright pink! I'm excited about this because it's the closest shade I've found to the lovely (discontinued?) Darling Girl Kiss You Off tinted balm in Cherry Darling. I had to give away my Darling Girl balm when I became allergic to one of the ingredients, so I'm thrilled to have what just might be a suitable replacement.

This shade is based on Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle, which automatically makes it my favorite. I'm pretty sure every teen geek girl's dream was to come home every day to a brooding magician and an indignant fire demon. Just me? Ok then.

Purchase Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: You cannot change fate. However, you can rise to meet it, if you so choose.

Sheer brick red with a slight brown undertone.

Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #40, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.

Comes in a 0.15 oz round silver tube.

Personal Comments: I have a pretty large Shiro collection, and I can count the number of products that have disappointed me on a single hand. Unfortunately, the count just went up by one. As you can see from the swatches, this doesn't build up in the slightest, and it doesn't change the color of my lips at all. It feels nice on and will make a great lip balm, but if I want anything resembling color on my lips, this won't fit the bill.

This shade is based on San's mask from Princess Mononoke. Though a green shade based on the Forest Spirit would have been really fun, this is a great interpretation of one of the film's beautiful costume pieces.

Purchase Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll close with some general comments about the new formula. On first application, these almost remind me of Fyrinnae's Lip Lustres, in that they're simultaneously thin and slick. After twenty or thirty minutes they dry down and lose the slippery feeling. I find them neither drying nor hydrating, but I have quite dry skin, so your mileage may vary. More importantly, they're comfortable to wear. I haven't done full longevity testing on all the shades yet, but in general they seem to last nicely. I'll update this post when I have more to say on this. Finally, I have to mention the scent, which is strong and immensely girly. It's a sweet, fake vanilla scent which is quite noticeable on application but doesn't seem to stick around too long after it's on my lips. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but I'll admit I wouldn't be sad if it were toned down or eliminated. Anyone who is very sensitive to scents should think twice before ordering these, especially since it doesn't appear samples are offered for this product.

That's all I have to say about these exciting new products! Do any catch you interest? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment