Tuesday, October 6, 2015

By Unknown
Southern Comforts Biloxi Boneyard perfume review
It's that time of year - the Halloween scents are coming!

So this is the third post in a row I've made regarding Southern Comforts perfume (whose collection of offerings is growing so fast I can hardly keep up!)... this is the best-smelling addiction I've had in a while, so please bear with me! In my last order I received an early sample vial of one of the upcoming Halloween fragrances, so naturally I slathered it all over my wrists immediately.

Biloxi Boneyard

1 2ml sample vial for $2 USD
Fragrant jasmine guides you through misty moonlit woods, grass and rotting leaves sinking under your fearful feet, to the cemetery on the furthest edge of town. Some say it’s haunted, others just advise you to stay away. Cold earthy wet floral - jasmine absolute, damp wood, rotting leaves, wet gravestones, oakmoss, old dirt.
So I did a little research - Biloxi is a city in Mississippi right along the coast. There are a handful of cemeteries in the area, and many are rather old (although I'm not sure how old that would be, I consider circa 1600-1700 cemeteries to be old, and I think the ones in Biloxi are 100 years younger). I especially loved this one visitor's attempts to rationally articulate their visit:
It was a good walk and we enjoyed reading all the different head stones. But when I said fun, I meant it was a nice outing, but not fun because they were all deceased, if that makes since to everyone. Some had stories and how they died. It wasn't fun per say it was a nice outing. And the walk was pleasant.
  It's okay, Trip Advisor reviewer, no one is going to judge you for enjoying a visit to the cemetery!

Anyways, back to the perfume.

I applied Biloxi Boneyard for the first time without reading any of the notes or description. In fact, as far as I was concerned, this perfume was named "Biioxi Boneyard" since the label on my vial is a bit hard to read. It starts off damp with a chill. Initially it reminds me of a cooler cousin to Darling Clandestine's Blue Valentine, almost boozy but not quite.

I know there's jasmine absolute in this blend, but before I read the notes I honestly wouldn't have guessed jasmine because it smells nothing like most jasmine blends I've worn. Typically jasmine on my skin gets amped to offensive levels. But this is more like an echo of jasmine that has been distorted and blurred over time mingling with cooler decay.

After about an hour of wear it starts to morph and reminds me of charred wood. There is nothing in the notes or description to indicate anything like that, maybe my nose is just broken. It's still very pleasant, just less floral. During the cooler seasons, fragrances catch the air and drift further away, especially the scent of a fire. Perhaps the bonfire from Huntsville Hayride is trickling in!

Duration: Although Southern Comforts has made leaps and strides ahead in longevity through switching to different carrier oils, Biloxi Boneyard suffers and dies a death far too soon. All that lost potential! I heavily slathered my sample vial all over my wrists around 6:30AM, and two hours later the silage is tremendously diminished and is really only detectable if you get up very close to my wrists. Typically I get about 3-4 hours of wear tops.

Score: 4/5
Despite it's poor lasting power, I really like Biloxi Boneyard! It's unlike anything I've tried from Southern Comforts so far and has me pretty excited about the upcoming Halloween collection. This isn't your typical Halloween blend and stands out in my memory. My only real lament is that it evaporates before it can fulfill its destiny. I'm smitten with the "jasmine-not-jasmine" that behaves so nicely on my skin and am so pleased by how this fragrance morphs over time.

The Halloween release is already up, but sample packs have since sold out. You can still snag a full-size version of any of the Halloween fragrances from the Etsy shop!

0 comments:

Post a Comment