Thursday, October 15, 2015

By Unknown

Hello everyone! For today's Company Overview, I'm going to talk about Smelly Yeti Perfumery--I've reviewed a few of their perfumes before, but I thought an overview would be helpful! They are new on the indie scene, having opened just over a year ago, in October 2014, and quickly gained traction via word of mouth on Reddit and blogs. They occupy a similar niche to brands like ZOMG Smells and Shiro, i.e. nerd/fandom beauty, and all their products are vegan. 

Packaging: 

The packaging is ADORABLE. Major props. My order arrived wrapped in striped black-and-white paper, with the samples tucked into a jewelry box sealed with measuring tape-print tape and a branded sticker. There was Zotz candy, dinosaur temporary tattoos, and a plastic dinosaur toy tucked inside as well. The samples, instead of the functional little glass tubes that most perfume samples come packaged in, are in squat amber glass screw-top bottles (no applicator or reducer cap) with a yeti sticker on top and the perfume name on the side. There was a hand-drawn yeti on my receipt.

Just look at how fun this is!


Selection:

There are five collections listed in Smelly Yeti's catalog right now, for a total of 48 scents: The Red Herring Collection (Clue), The Garden of Earthly Delights (Hieronymus Bosch), Cinema Scents (movies and TV shows), The Hellmouth Collection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and General Catalog. There are also Smell of the Month perfumes available now.

The majority of their products are perfumes, but the company also recently celebrated its first anniversary, and introduced lip products (in collaboration with Kae Q) and jewelry (under the Jeweled Jackalope label). There are also stickerspipettes, a jelly soap, and a yeti available for purchase. The yeti is currently on sale! Please buy it.

You can see a list of all the scents here. I REALLY appreciate being able to read through a huge list instead of having to click through to individual pages for the scent descriptions!

Samples: 


Samples are usually available for 5 for $15 (1.3 mL bottles) for scents other than Smell of the Month limited editions, but they are currently unavailable until 2016 due to the increased overhead of managing them. All orders come with a free sample.

Quality: 

Much as I adore Smelly Yeti's branding and packaging, the perfumes aren't necessarily my favorites. You can read my reviews of the ones I've tried so far under the Smelly Yeti tag on this blog. I think they're good, but I haven't found anything amazing so far--everything I've tried tends to have a sort of soapy undertone and not smell as strong as I'd like. However, I figure I'll keep slowly exploring the catalog because all my experiences so far have been pretty positive. 

Cost:

Prices are competitive, with samples being 5 for $15 as mentioned above, and full-sized 7.4 mL bottles with wandcap applicators priced at $15 as well. The earrings are $12.50-$15. Lip Things are $7 for 0.15 oz of product.

Customer Service: 

I didn't experience any problems with my order, but the owner, Abby, is active on social media and seems friendly and responsive; I received a same-day response when I inquired about blogger discounts/samples (which they aren't providing.) Contact information in the form of an email address is on their About Us page, along with links to all their social media platforms.

TAT: 

There is a TAT page with details: currently 3-4 weeks. The turnaround time was faster than this when I ordered--the order shipped the day after I placed it, even though there was a sale running at the time. 

Shipping: 

When I made a sample cart with one bottle of perfume, I had two options available--standard shipping within the US for $3.00 (I presume via USPS first class) or standard shipping with delivery confirmation for $6. Increasing the amount in the order led to Priority Mail ($7.50) or free shipping options becoming available--shipping is free after $100. The priority mail cutoff is at 1 pound--I don't know how many bottles or sample packs that translates to.

Smelly Yeti ships internationally. Their pricing tiers and policies for shipping are hard to find on the main site, but are listed in this blog post:
Canada: $7.50 for standard shipping, $20 for priority.
The rest of the world: $11 for standard shipping, $20 for priority.
Free worldwide shipping for orders of $150 and up.

Personal Thoughts:

I love Smelly Yeti's humor, themes, and packaging, and although I haven't found any perfumes of theirs yet that I'm madly in love with, I do like what I've tried and plan to continue exploring their catalog to see if I find anything amazing. I already have some regrets about not ordering last month's Smell of the Month (Leaves from the Vine, a jasmine tea concoction) but this is because I am stupid and tend to spend all my fun money on perfumes when I already have way too many. Past me made what was probably the right choice, present me is now feeling like she missed out, bah!

When sample packs are back, here's what I'm thinking for my next order (descriptions here): Cub Scout (vanilla), Mongrel (damp, grassy earth, fallen oak trees, mossy underbrush, dark oud), Mustard (Woody osmanthus, leather, rum, fossilized amber and golden musk), The Slayer (Blood orange, tangerine, Meyer lemon, and lime with a creamsicle sweetness), and Veronica (blood orange marshmallow). And maybe some Lips of Spike lipstick, because vampy blood red lipstick is awesome. And maybe a yeti, because if I'm just window shopping, why not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious about the Lip Things, do you plan to swatch some of them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't order any Lip Things, but if we do, we'll definitely put up a review and/or swatches! They look really nice, don't they?

      Delete