Sunday, October 11, 2015

By Unknown



Bare Naked Suds 
Product Review

In my last post, I told you all about my crazy month of September. Fantastically, when I was waiting for my friend to pop her baby out, we went to an itty bitty festival in Keyport, WA with her in-laws. Naturally, I found the soap booth and bought a bunch of stuff.

So let’s look at some soap, shaving soap, eczema cream, and lip balm from Bare Naked Suds!

Bar Soap

I bought two bars of soap- Pumpkin Walnut Biscotti and Pomegranate.

I cut a chunk of the Pumpkin Walnut Biscotti for my friend and realized that this was a way headier scent than I had anticipated when I purchased it, so I cut it up and gave chunks to AG and Kristin as well, keeping only about a quarter of the bar for me. It’s a surprisingly delicious scent. I say surprising because it’s pretty well documented that I don’t go in for baked food smells. The scent is a little spicy and nutty with an underlying cookie scent. I’d say it’s a good compromise scent if you have people in the house who love baked good scents and people who generally avoid it like the plague.

The Pomegranate soap is a simple single note scent fairly true to other Pomegranate scents. It is neither heady nor overwhelming, even when freshly cut.

As for performance, this is bar soap. It behaves like bar soap. It leaves me no drier than any other bar soap I’ve tried, except perhaps olive oil bar soap. It seems a little lighter than other soaps in moisturizers, but not noticeably so.

Shave Soap

I have a love/hate relationship with shaving soap. No, that’s not right. I have a…a…a “this allows my skin to be less nicked”/”god you’re a pain in the ass” relationship with shaving soap.

My last shaving soap bit it when I accidentally left it sitting in standing water and it melted. So I figured I’d grab this one and see how it did because the alternative is using my husband’s stuff, and while sumptuous, is way too much work to shave my legs. This is unscented, which was a pretty big check-mark in my book. I love smelly good showers, baths, and soaps, but my shaving soap really doesn’t need to smell like anything. But I wasn’t really impressed when using it.

There are a lot of moisturizers in it. From the photo alone, I can read 4 different ones, which is great for a shaving cream. The problem is that I’m lazy, and I’m not going to use a shaving brush to work up and lather and then use the brush on my skin. Something that Lathers + Wet Skin = How I Shave. I just couldn’t get it to actually bubble up that way. It left a creamy colored layer on my skin. It still shaved fine, but I didn’t feel like I could just rub it all back in and leave it at that, but had to shower it off after. I’ll probably use the bar through, unless something shiny comes along.

Purchase Link

Eczema Cream

Mr. J has some stress-induced eczema in the cold weather. He will scratch his poor shins raw if he’s not paying attention. I found a scrub he loves (the Skin Like Butter Peppermint Body Scrub), but I haven’t found a lotion to really address the issue, especially when scented lotions can cause burning if his skin is too raw.

I talked to the owner about it a little. When she found out her doctor’s solution to her 5-year-old’s eczema was steroid cream, she wanted to create a gentler solution for her child’s skin problem. I don’t blame her. I don’t really want to resort to that either, and I’m trying to find a solution for a grown man. So I grabbed a jar and figured we’d see what happened.


This is very, liquid-y. It kept running away from me when I would try to take a photograph of it. Through some finagling and quick-trigger fingers, I managed to get the photo and here's a video to better capture the egg-shell-in-egg-white-type movement.

However, this is a small complaint for Mr. J. He finds it more helpful than a normal lotion and has to moisturize his itchy spots less often because of it.

It has some great antibacterial ingredients- rosemary, tea tree, clove, and helichrysum italicum- to help fight bacteria that might build up in all the dry skin. I had to Google helichrysum italicum because I had never heard of it before. It’s a flower commonly called the curry plant that is anti-inflammatory, fungicidal, and astringent. It’s used to soothe burned and raw skin. Thank you, Wikipedia! This is going to mean it smells pretty strong, and pretty darn sharp. So if a lavender rosemary heavy scent is too much for you, you might want to avoid it, but if you have consistent dry, raw skin that needs some love, this might be a nice thing to try.

Please remember I am not a medical professional, and if you’re having a serious skin condition consult a doctor, or someone a heckuva lot smarter than I am in these areas!

Purchase Link

Lip Balm

I’d like to say that this was an impulse thrown in at the last second, but let’s be honest- the whole purchase was an impulse from beginning to end. I grabbed it in Green Apple- it’s Autumn and this house is all about their apples in Autumn. Although apparently, Mr. J doesn’t like Green Apple. Thanks for telling me, honey.

I’ve been enjoying this, surprisingly. I usually hate lip balms in a jar. I’m have to use my finger, and then one of my dogs will inevitably eat it off of fingers, and if they don’t, I’m stuck with a sticky finger that has to be rubbed into my hand or on my pants if I’m not paying attention. That being said, it’s been doing well enough by me that I haven’t pulled my Burt’s Bees back out of my bag yet. I took a picture of how much I’ve used since I bought it, so you could see I’m not lying. It’s a little lighter in consistency than I usually like, and changes in temperature will affect it pretty drastically. When it gets cold, it gets even harder than usual and little drops of oil appear on the top, but it all rubs back into the top layers of the balm pretty easily.

Final Thoughts

I’m not entirely certain how excited I am about more bar soap and shaving soap. But the Eczema Cream was a really nice thing to find, and for $10 for the jar, it’s more than reasonable, although I was reticent in the beginning. I’m enjoying the lip balm more than my other indie trials. Between the two, I would say it was a successful purchase, and I love getting to chat with owners. If you’re a coconut oil fiend, definitely check this company out- both the eczema cream and lip balms are coconut oil based. And if you’re in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps you’ll see her around selling her wares!

0 comments:

Post a Comment