Tuesday, May 19, 2015

By Unknown




I write this with my belly full of tasty Indian food--what better time to discuss a perfume named Kulfi, named after the traditional South Asian ice cream? Kulfi was the first perfume I ever tried from L'Aromatica, and I think it does the dessert justice.

Price: $30 for 5 mL of perfume oil, $56 for 9 mL of perfume oil, or $60 for 1 oz of eau de toilette.Samples: You can order 3 samples for $10.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about L'Aromatica.)
Description from the website: "Based on a very popular Indian dessert of the same name. It’s rich and creamy with a hint of spice. A handmade saffron-infused oil is added to this blend. NOTES: Cardamom, Vanilla Bean, Coconut, Sandalwood, Saffron.

Kulfi goes on with a punch--no shrinking violet of a perfume, it opens with a huge blast of fragrant, spicy cardamom. I've tried other perfumes where the cardamom was such a muted note, it came across as dusty, but it is in full, glorious force in this scent, front and center, with a musky sandalwood giving it a smooth, woodsy base.

The intensity of the cardamom starts to fade a little as it dries down on the skin, but it remains the focal point of the perfume. The other notes emerge--dark coconut, rich vanilla, a subtle earthy saffron note--until the full picture of a cardamom-heavy, sweet, creamy dessert emerges. Once it dries down, the sillage shrinks as well, and it clings closer to the skin, becoming more of a more subtle, well-blended coconut-and-vanilla cream scent. It always smells natural and pleasing, never artificial, and has average longevity on my skin.

I really like the spiciness and woodsy, musky base of this scent--while I absolutely see the kulfi scent-picture it paints overall, I think the cardamom, saffron, and sandalwood keep it smelling respectably like a perfume and not like an accident at the ice cream factory. Delicious, one of the nicest gourmands I've smelled to date, and well worth checking out.

For other reviews of Kulfi, you can also check out My Perfume Diaries, Olfactory Obsessed, or La Domna.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment