Thursday, May 14, 2015

By Unknown

Hi everyone! Today I'd like to share with you something a bit different - how I use Facebook for keeping up to date on indie brands. Now it may seem pretty straight forward, just "like" the brand's Facebook page, but many brands also have their own closed Facebook groups where you can find out about exclusive deals, share looks, ask questions, and more!

The first tip I have if you are an indie addict like we are here at Indie Know, is to set up an indie interests list - see this link over at the Facebook Help Center for more information. The picture above is a screenshot of some of the indie brands I follow. I check this list daily to see if there is any big news or sales going on from my favourite indie brands. You can make lists for anything on Facebook; since I have hundreds of friends and "like" probably hundreds public pages, I don't have time (nor the desire) to scroll through my entire Newsfeed everyday to see all the new things that have been posted. I also use lists like this because Facebook is making it very difficult for small businesses to reach their fans/customers, asking them to pay ludicrous amounts of money to promote posts (in fact if you visit Femme Fatale Cosmetics' public page, you'll see the top posts redirecting you to a new group they have created, Femme Fatale Online Boutique, in order to combat this). Another somewhat cheeky tip I have is that if you create an indie interests list, you can add public pages that you haven't "liked" yet - I do this for brands that I haven't tried yet, but want to keep an eye on in case they have a sale (since I don't want to "like" brands I haven't used).

Two of my favourite looks from the Femme Fatale Fiends Weekly Challenge - rainbow and butterfly (I decided to use the bread-and-butterflies from Disney's Alice in Wonderland as my inspiration!).
My second tip is if you are a big fan of a certain brand, then you should definitely see if they have a closed group on Facebook and join. I'm a member of the Femme Fatale Fiends and Notoriously Morbid's Customer Crypt. Since these groups are closed to non-members, I feel safe and comfortable posting images of myself in these groups. I must admit I haven't participated much in Notoriously Morbid's Customer Crypt since I do not own as much of their products, but I still "like" member's blog posts and EOTD/FOTD posts. Last year I was pretty active in the Femme Fatale Fiends, participating in a few of the weekly challenges (until uni took over my life!). The now fortnightly challenges are really fun, you can see how other members use Femme Fatale products, and if you create a look that fits the theme, you can win prizes! The winners are chosen randomly, so you don't have to be worried about your skill level. Other groups that I am aware of but not a member of are Hello Waffle's Kitty Kingdom and innocent+twisted alchemy's ATELIER.

Kristin adds: I belong to Future Primitive's Group, the Solstice Scents Community, and the Haus of Gloi Discussion Group! Another thing that's pretty cool about these groups is that the brand owners are pretty active on their brand's page.

Are you part of any indie brand Facebook groups? Let me know below in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments:

  1. I don't even have a facebook :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! Most brands post info about sales and news on their public pages, which you can see without having a Facebook account, and on Twitter, which is also view-able to the public. They should also have mailing lists you can join so that you can get deals sent directly to your email inbox. And http://www.reddit.com/r/indiemakeupandmore has a very active community that often has posts about news/sales, you don't need a Reddit account to view those posts either :)

      Delete