Friday, May 15, 2015

By Kristin

Life's Entropy Cosmetics
Lip Theories

I feel really behind on reviewing these since they've already had so much hype all over the internet. It seemed like from day one, they were getting raves. It took me awhile to make my first purchase from Life's Entropy but they're known for their innovative products - specifically the Lip Theories and Contour Sticks. 

My wonderful co-blogger, Valentine, took a look at both of these products in her Company Overview but I thought it might be helpful to have another perspective since everyone's lips are different. 

So the obvious comparison to the Life's Entropy Lip Theories are the Lip Tars from OCC. It's true that they are very similar products. They're both liquid lipsticks and a lip brush is a definite necessity when playing with either. However, with a Lip Tar, you only really need a tip of a brush's worth of product for your entire lip. Lip Theories require significantly more product. I actually prefer this since with Lip Tars, it's very easy to pick up way too much and end up with a messy and feathering lip. 

Lip Tars are also much more viscous. When I hold my Lip Tars upside-down, you can immediately see the liquid shifting. Not so with Lip Theories. I can prop the sample centrifuge on its top end and given a few days I'll see some movement but they definitely don't move around as much. 

Or at least, this was true for all of my Lip Theories except for one. Big Bang Theory. The middle, liquid-y swatch below is Big Bang Theory and there was definitely something wrong with the one that I received. I contacted the owner, Jane, who theorized that it must have been a tube accidentally drawn from the top of the batch that wasn't properly mixed. She kindly offered me a replacement but I told her not to worry. I just wanted to mention it just in case anyone has had a similar problem, know that it's not supposed to be like that and to contact the company about a replacement. The rest of my Lip Theories have all been well-pigmented and smooth. 


As for wear, without eating or drinking, I can get about 9 hours without any fading before I go crazy and destroy my lip color with food. They're also very comfortable on the lip. I found that it was harder to get an even coat of color with the odder shades - specifically the green - but the pink (even the bright magenta), red, and coral shades were a piece of cake. They also set really nicely into a not-quite-matte but not-quite-satin finish.

Unfortunately, if I'm even the slightest bit dehydrated, the pigment sinks into my lip lines. This tends to be more true of the lighter shades. I was pretty heartbroken to see this happen with Enzyme (below) which I really really loved the color of. 


The product itself isn't drying but if I'm feeling dehydrated, they definitely don't do my lips any favors. I had this problem mostly with Derivative and Enzyme.

Sadly for me, that's kind of a deal-breaker. I'm terrible at drinking water and though I know it's a habit I really should develop, I'd hate being worried about lip lines because of it.

If you're the type that's great at hydrating yourself and/or you naturally have plump lips, I highly recommend these Lip Theories. One of us should get to love them. :)

How about you, readers? Have you gotten to try these yet?


0 comments:

Post a Comment