Sunday, May 17, 2015

By Unknown


Fortune Cookie Soap Box Summer 2015
“Straight on Till Morning”


I’m a sucker for a good fairy tale. I love all the ideas of Peter Pan, but am “eh” on the story. I adore Hook, and Finding Neverland has one of the best soundtracks of all time. “Neverland- Piano Variation in Blue?” I could listen to it all the time. But I digress.


This is a great theme for a summer box. Pirates, mermaids, sword fights, Indians, it creates a perfect scent palette for a tropical paradise. The whole box smells of exotic fruits. To make it even more exciting, not only are there products I haven’t tried yet, there are products that are brand new to FCS, including deodorant and a new kind of perfume oil.

"Second Star to the Right"
Fortune Cookie Soap

Crushed berries and mint leaves with a splash of sparkling pomelo, served over iced sugarcane.
It’s a beautiful display of the cosmos in soap form. Glitter forms stars while purples and blues give depth to the night sky. It’s a gorgeous piece of art in soap form.

I’ve never taken these soaps into the shower with me because they’re so thin I worried they’d wear down too quickly but I decided that with the amount of bar soap currently in my life, I would just deal with the loss if it happened to this one. It has held up so far very well, which has only been two showers. But something weird did happen. Just soaping up with the bar, not using a rag or loofah, I soaped up my armpits, and it stuck. Something between the soap and the buildup of my deodorant reacted. It transferred to the soap in a hard white substance. I scraped it off and then soaped up my hands and used my hands to wash my armpits and had no problems. I’m betting it was the deodorant- I use a prescription strength deodorant, which I will happily talk about in the deodorant section.

The scent comes out like sugared fruits. Mr. J said that it would make a great fruity Christmas scent, which I think is the pomelo. Pomelo is a citrus fruit that looks like a big grapefruit though milder than grapefruit while similar. Citrus and sugar tend to invoke Christmas feelings. It is a lovely, noninvasive fruity scent.

"Tink"
OCD Hand Sanitizer

Fresh cherries in cream, sprinkled with toasted coconut and a fairy dusting of powdered sugar.
This smells pretty much exactly like a real piña colada, not made from a mix. With a cherry on top and everything. The more you add, the more cherry that comes from, but it settles back out into a piña colada. If you like piña coladas, this is definitely the scent for you. ^.~

"Lost Boys"
Whipped Cream

Golden apricot muddled with fresh white peaches.
This is a surprisingly light scent for FCS. If you have been to the England part of Epcot in Disney World, there is a shop that sells -surprise, surprise- English products, including Berkeley Square Cosmetics Company’s White Tea Body Products. It’s a personal favorite of mine, reminding me of fantastic memories with my husband on our first vacation together. It apparently, does decay, as I just found out while putting it on myself for a comparison. But the scent still lives in the bottle.

Lost Boys smells like it started with a White Tea base. And then rounded it with touches of apricot and peach. It’s gorgeous, it’s light; you could taunt your loved one with hints of you all through the day, giving them just snatches of your scent while they chase you. Can you tell I’m secretly a romantic?

"Mermaid Lagoon"
Two Phase Perfume Oil

There are no scent notes

We have arrived at our first new product! Shout hooray, y’all! This is a split oil perfume in a spray bottle. You shake it up enough to mix the oils and then spray it where you want it to go. It sits on top of your skin until you rub it in. Be careful where you spray it- it apparently does stain clothing. It absorbs really well. Within a minute of application, I don’t see any shininess from oil that hasn’t absorbed.

The scent is a little bit weird. In the beginning, it smells like tropical buttered popcorn. I don’t know how to explain it, other than coconuts ands buttered popcorn. I have no idea if this is because of the different oils or if it is something to do with the scents themselves. Once it settles out, it smells like coconuts, water, and something undefinable. That little bit of something adds a depth that keeps the scent around.

"Kiss"
Lip Balm

Exotic watermelon, juicy pineapple and coconut water, bursting with fresh citrus juices.
Was anyone else hoping just a little that they would scent this to smell like acorns? No? Just me? Okay. Well, if it’s not going to be acorns, this is a great second option. It smells like a watermelon Jolly Rancher with a hint of cream. The scent is strong enough that I can still smell it for maybe 10 minutes after application.

I had not used an FCS lip balm prior to receiving this one. It’s fantastic. It has a nice firm consistency. A good comparison would be Burt Bee’s Peppermint Beeswax Lip Balm or their Honey Beeswax Lip Balm. Their fruit scented lip balms tend to be softer. I am definitely a fan. I like really pressing it in and knowing I’m getting a good thick application.

"The Boy Who Never Grew Up"
Salt Scrub

Tropical margarita- served with a salted rim.
This is a new to me product, as far as I can remember. I wasn’t very impressed. I wanted more salt in it, but I’m discovering that I prefer sugar scrubs to salt scrubs because they feel more effective. Whether they are or not, I don’t know. Salt feels more rounded to me than sugar. Mr. J’s only feeling on it was, “eh.” When I pushed, he admitted, he was also looking for more salt in the scrub. I imagine that has more to do with the fact that this is a sample. I’m betting a full size jar gets a better ratio. It will also probably be better for someone with drier skin than mine- too many oils for me.

We both agreed the scent is akin to margarita rock candy. There’s not really more to it than that. Simple explanation, nice slightly complex scent.

"Wendy Bird"
Veggie Protein Deodorant

Bright, green apple with a balmy tropical twist.
We’ll start with the scent, which is phenomenal. The green apple with this fresh, ozone-like tropical fruitiness. It’s just…It’s great. I love it. I want more of it. There’s really nothing more to say. It’s fantastic. I will definitely be buying something in it at the launch, probably a bath product. I love apples.

This is the other brand new FCS product. Deodorant is a weird one. I usually use prescription strength deodorant because I have pit odor to rival the sweatiest athletes. It’s disgusting. I’ve ruined clothes by sweating. My poor mother made the mistake of stealing one of my sweaters once and spent the day smelling like my pit odor. It wasn’t until I found Secret’s prescription strength deodorant that I stopped destroying clothes on a regular basis. I have tried other deodorants. I’ve even tried indie deodorants (different issue there.) I have not been successful with any of them.

On the scale of “I have something sticky in my armpit” and “Hooray, I still smell like a daisy at the end of the day,” this falls somewhere in the middle, slightly closer to still smelling like a daisy. When I first put it on, it was as strong as perfume. After a couple hours, it settled out and I would have had to sniff my armpits to smell the deodorant. After a light sweat, the stink hadn’t come overcome the scent of apples yet, but the scent had mostly muddled itself. I’m sure with a hard sweat the deodorant would have not held up for me, but if you’re just looking for something light, this is a great alternative to grocery store variety.

"The Captain"
Steam Me Up Scotty!

Dewy magnolias and wild berries with fresh cream.
As a shower steamer, this was lacking in scent saturation. It’s a lovely scent of tropical florals with hints of fruits. I imagine in another product, this would be really beautiful. I love tropical florals and apparently love them even with more with berry scents. Thank you, FCS for opening my eyes to the joys of tropical florals to berries. This is a great fresh smell that was just a little too fleeting in the shower for me. But I would love to see it as something else.

Launch Party Reminder!

FCS’s Summer Launch Party is on May 22nd at 6 pm CST. The party starts on their Facebook page. Be sure to tune in for all the fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment