Sunday, May 10, 2015

By Unknown

A quick note on Jessye Gets Bubbly scheduling this month. There will be a review next weekend, as well as the 4th Sunday of the month. Next week, we’ll cover Fortune Cookie Soap’s Summer Soap Box. And then we’ll get back on schedule the weekend after with a review of the scents purchased at Future Primitive. 

But for now, a review of the products purchased at Future Primitive.

Drool-worthy
Future Primitive 
Part I: The Products

I had a kid in a candy store moment with this company. I bought so much! Way too much for one review, especially when you factor in that Kristin and AG joined me on this purchase. So we're splitting it into two parts-first, a strictly product review and then a ridiculously long scent review. The perfumes will only be reviewed in the scent review since each perfume in unique in its staying power, throw, and scent components.

But first, I want to talk about how fast the order arrived. When I placed the order, the Turn Around Time said 7-10 business days. Completely reasonable, if a little sad since it will take FOREVER to get here, being an international shipment from the UK. Not true. Ordered on a Thursday, notified of shipment the following Tuesday, shipped Wednesday, arrived Friday. From order to in hand, it took 8 days! Not even 8 business days, and I'm sure due to the time difference, they got the order on Friday. So it took a week. A week! Hell's bells, I'm impressed all the way down the line. Two days from Gloucester to Seattle.

I digress! Let’s take a look at products.

Left: Lagoon, Right: White Witch

Bar Soap

I am ridiculously in love with this bar of soap. The presentation is phenomenal, the printed waxed paper wrap, the carving, they even shaved the corners so there are no sharp corners.

Just look at this packaging.
There's cocoa butter in it, which prevents it from feeling drying on the hands. I've been going to town on this bar of soap in Lagoon (sadly now sold out and unlisted) since I opened it. I usually slice them, leaving several options out for guests and the people in the house but I haven't used another bar since. I've taken it into the shower, I've made excuses to wash my hands several times. I am in love.

They make bar soaps out of their general catalogue scents, their seasonal scents, and they also do a sporadic limited edition line, which appears to be there until they're sold out. I foresee their limited edition line becoming an expensive, yet happy habit on my part.

Purchase Link

Bathing Grains

It bubbles. There were bubbles in my bath salt soak. So awesome. Not a ton and they didn’t last horribly long but bubbles. I used 3 shakes first try, and there was not enough scent for me. The instructions say to use “a handful.” I used over half a bag the second time to get the scent that I wanted. If you aren't a heavy scent lover, you could easily get 4-6 uses out of the bag. I found this to be very soft and lovely on the skin on my body, but it felt very dry when it hit the skin on my face. It was a fairly average bath salt made interesting by the scent and bubbles.

Purchase Link

Body Whip

I only bought a sample of this and mostly because I had bought something of everything else, and it seemed silly to not try everything.

I am very glad I tried it. It has the texture of chocolate mousse. It has air pockets like mousse and is surprisingly light and fluffy to the touch. It's a beautiful, heavy moisturizer that absorbs well after a short period of time. My problem with my legs and moisturizers is well documented throughout this blog, so naturally I tried this moisturizer on my legs first chance I had. I noticed it was a little oily afterwards so I went and sat in our leather chair, not wanting to get lotion on the velvet couch. After an amount of time, I realized I was conditioning the chair and it still wasn't absorbing into my skin. It didn't rub off though-a huge plus-and after about 20 minutes, it did finally absorb. This was not a problem I had on the rest of my body though, just my legs.

Purchase Link

Conditioning Hair Rinse


I have finicky hair. It's very fine but there is a lot of it. It's very straight and pretty oily. I used Paul Mitchell's tea tree oil shampoo pretty regularly for the past ten-ish years, except when I had been lured away by the prospect of trying something new. But recently, it started to cause build up. So I switched back to a LUSH shampoo and conditioner to use while I attempted to find something that could be used long term. LUSH's hair products tend to cause something like pimples on my scalp. Future Prim's order came in just as I was running out of the LUSH products.

This conditioner has almost the same consistency of LUSH's Veganese conditioner. It is slightly thicker but still very liquidy, but with “a lot more punch.” If you are looking to try it, I would suggest using the same amount that you would use of your traditional conditioner for the first time. Take some extra time and work it through your hair. Let it settle, wash your body, and rinse right before you get out.

I found, like Veganese, it took some extra time to rinse out, more than a drugstore conditioner does. My hair might be slightly less glossy smooth, but I have noticed less oil the next day in my hair, which could be the whipped soap as a shampoo, the conditioner or a mix of the two. Regardless, I am very happy with the changes and enjoy the conditioner immensely. I like feeling like there's a conditioner out there for those of us with less blessing in the hair department, or more curse depending on how you look at it.

Kristin adds: This is my first venture into indie hair conditioning products-I've been a Pantene Pro-V girl for decades-but I'm already itching to build a collection of different scents. These are definitely more expensive than commercial conditioners, currently 8 GBP a bottle - roughly $12.50 with today's conversion rate. This is also slightly more expensive than the other indie hair conditioners that I've heard of but I haven't tried any others so can't compare for quality.

Kristin: I've been using the Blackcurrant Damson Frangipane and though I don't know what most of those words are, I've been really enjoying it. It was a little hard to figure out how much to use in the beginning since the consistency is more liquid-y than I'm used to but a quarter-sized dollop seems to be a good amount for my shoulder-length, straight, extremely thick hair.

Kristin: I'm not sure if this is something that differs per scents but the Blackcurrant scent definitely lingers. It's not a heavy lingering but if I turn my head quickly, I can sometimes get a light whiff of something tasty. This is both an encouragement to get more gourmand scents and a wary warning not to lest the food cravings be overwhelming. I've noticed the scent for up to two days after showering though my boyfriend says that it's very barely noticeable even a few hours after.

Purchase Link

Bubbling Sugar Buff


This looks and behaves exactly like Haus of Gloi's Bubbling Scrub. It's light and fluffy, drier than an emulsifying scrub, nor is there as much sugar as an emulsifying scrub but still plenty and lacking the oil residue. There was an interesting thing that happened with the larger scrubs that didn't happen with the sample sizes. I believe, in transit, the scrubs shrank from air pressure. The scrubs were unattached to the containers at all. You could shake the containers and hear the scrub rattling around in the jar. It has not affected its use at all- just need to be careful to not accidentally pull the rest of it out and lose it.


Kristin adds: I disagree a bit here. I found Future Primitive's Bubbling Sugar Buff to be much bubblier than the HoG Bubbling Scrub. To the point where I actually feel fizzy bubbles when using the Future Prim version. The Haus of Gloi Bubbling Scrub usually bubbles a bit but smooths out really quickly into the milky soap. Future Primitive's Bubbling Sugar Buff remained bubblier for a much longer time and I found it to be more exfoliating.

Purchase Link

Whipped Cream Soap

This is another Haus of Gloi comparative in density and consistency. There is a slight difference in fluffiness dependent on scent, but it is consistent throughout the jar. The jar is marked as being usable as soap, shampoo, and shaving soap. I tried them as all three.

The soap is a very familiar whipped soap. The shaving soap was perfectly adequate-good thick foam that makes shaving smooth and easy. I didn't nick myself, but I generally try to avoid doing such a thing anyway. I was very excited to try it as a shampoo. I had heard of people using whipped soaps as a shampoo but had avoided it since I dye my hair. I prefer knowing that my shampoo isn't going to turn my hair orange before I use it.

I contacted them about it; they said they also dyed their hair and had no issue with increasing fade or anything like that. So I figured what the hell. It's been great. My hair feels so clean.


Like I said with the conditioner, between the whipped soap and conditioner, my hair hasn't felt this clean in years. I can go almost 30 hours between washing, which is phenomenal for me, seeing as some days, I'd have to wash my hair twice to keep up on the oils.

My husband, who usually uses Nioxin-meant for thinning hair shhhhhh-ran out of his shampoo at roughly the same time and started using the whipped soap. He hasn't looked back. He used to get these hard little things by the root of the hair, sitting on top of the pore, that came out with a little rubbing. He hasn't noticed them since switching to the whipped soap as shampoo. He also has fine, oily hair. I don't think his time between showers has changed, but his scalp is much healthier and happier. It has been a wonderful experience and I will be keeping this soap around for shampoo for probably some time.

Kristin adds: I haven't tried the whipped soaps as a shampoo yet but I've been enjoying them purely in their body soap form. For consistency, I think they're very comparable to the Haus of Gloi Whipped Soaps though I found them to be slightly more drying than the HoG version.

Purchase Link

Overall Thoughts

Future Primitive has been a great discovery. I am completely in love with the scents, the products, how quickly it got here. It seems a little expensive, and I will admit the shipping on the first order I made was intense, but it was a very large international order. I believe I love it more than HoG. I love it so much I've already made a second order that’s on its way here and will be in time for the scent review. I am head over heels, and I would suggest if you can get your hands on their products, you should definitely try this company.

Kristin adds: I resisted a second order until Future Primitive started a 20% off flash sale this morning. Until Monday, all items in the shop are 20% off with the code FLASH. The international shipping is kind of harsh if you're in the U.S. but Future Primitive has quickly become one of my favorite bath and body shops. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment