Thursday, May 28, 2015

By Kristin


Indigo Bananas is an indie nail polish company with a wide assortment of polishes on offer. However, I stumbled onto the company in my search for a new cuticle balm.

Since I started on my exploration into indie bath and body products, it's been harder and harder to justify the price of Lush products though I have yet to find suitable alternatives for many of the bubble-generating products that they're so well known for. I wandered in one day to take a look at their new fun shaped bath products and to my dismay, discovered one of my all-time favorite Lush products, the Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter.

It's creamy and moisturizing and the Lemon PEZ scent makes my hands smell edible. My nail-beds have been pretty dry lately and they've been loving this stuff but the $16 price tag was a little hard to swallow (that's 7 Fyrinnae mini eyeshadows!!). I turned to the indie world for an alternative.

Packaging: 

I purchased one cuticle balm and it was plastic-sealed and nicely cushioned in a bubble envelope. My item came in a bubble envelope. I'm not sure if nail polishes are sent any differently though I imagine they're a bit more fragile.

It looks like Indigo Banana may have changed their labeling since my order since on the website, mini cuticle balms have a black logo on the jars whereas on mine, it's white. On the bottom label, the sticker also specifies if a flavor/scent is lip safe.

Selection: 

If I were a nail polish person, I think I'd be going crazy over this selection. Their website is nicely organized and you can sort by collection (they do offer seasonal releases), color, finish, and popularity. As for cuticle balms, they offer a plain, unscented version as well as a variety of different scents.

Samples: 

They don't offer "samples" per se but they do have mini versions at a reduced price. For nail polishes, they sell 8ml mini versions, compared to 15ml full sized, and 10ml mini cuticle balms, compared to 20ml full sized. 


Quality: 

I purchased a mini cuticle balm in the "Lemon" scent.

I picked this cuticle balm in particular because it contains a lot of similar ingredients to the Lush product that I am trying to substitute.

Ingredients: Avocado oil, mango butter, shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, caprylic/capric/stearic glycerides (palm oil derived), jojoba oil, lanolin, isopropyl myristate, meadowfoam seed oil, vitamin E, scent

It definitely has all of the components of a very moisturizing product and sinks in pretty quickly for a balm. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't last very long and I need to reapply often to stay moisturized - though that may be a characteristic of how badly I'm treating my hands and not of the product.

Cost:

Cuticle balms are $5 for the mini and $8 for the full sized. Nail polishes vary in price but mini's seem to be either $6.25 or $7.25 and full sizes, $10 or $12.

They also have a sale section where things get a little cheaper. 

Customer Service: 

No personal experience though they seem responsive on their Facebook page.

TAT: 

I received a shipping notice one day after I placed my order and it was in my hands 11 days after that. In their FAQ's section, TAT is listed as 3-5 days, extending to 7 days right after releases.

Shipping: 

Very reasonable and by weight it seems though I only purchased one very light item. First class shipping starts at $2.65.

For non-US consumers, Indigo Banana's products are also offered by a number of distributors globally so that may help with the shipping cost.

Personal Thoughts:

I'm sorry to only report on the cuticle balm! Indigo Bananas is much more widely known for their nail polishes but my personal buying experience was great and I see no reason to not expect the same with nail polish orders.

Have you tried any of their polishes? What did you think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment