Friday, October 17, 2014

By Unknown

Brand new balm twisted all the way up.
Gift


My lovely co-blogger AG recently offered to send me a Detrivore Embalming Tube ($4.50, size not specified) she'd received as a freebie and wasn't planning to use. I'm a lip balm junkie, and had never tried this much beloved lip balm formula, so I took her up on the offer!

Embalming Tubes come shrink-wrapped, which is always a nice touch with indie products, in a standard black chapstick-type tube (balm WILL twist down after being twisted all the way up!) The label doesn't seem to be waterproof/oilproof, though, so mine is already looking a little smudged after a couple of uses. I'd prefer something more durable.

The lip balm contains coconut oil, avocado oil, beeswax, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, vitamin E, flavor. Because of the beeswax, it's not a vegan product. The ingredients are printed on the label.

In its nice shrink wrap
I quite like the formula. It's one of the softer, meltier lip balms I own (though not quite as soft as something like a Fresh Sugar lip balm) and glides onto lips effortlessly.

It moisturizes quite well, and for quite a long time, but it doesn't have the same satisfyingly thick, rich, occlusive feel as my more solid lip balms, or those that contain petroleum jelly. Thicker balms feel like they're sealing in the moisture. The Detrivore balm's lighter texture causes my mouth to just feel kind of oily. For ages. It has a good bit of shine because of this oily quality, so could be used as a clear gloss.

The Embalming Tube I have is in the French Vanilla scent. It doesn't taste like much to me. As far as the scent... well, I typically love vanilla, but this smells surprisingly horrible to me, like a chemically French vanilla or Irish cream-flavored coffee creamer.

Final verdict: I would repurchase this lip balm, but in a different scent.  Rock, Roll, Glam! loved the French Vanilla scent, though, so your mileage, as always, may vary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment