Tuesday, October 7, 2014

By Unknown



Today I'm reviewing Cozy Sweater from Haus of Gloi. Lisa gave this a brief review in her Top 3 Winter in July Perfumes post, but I thought I'd give it a closer look and second opinion for my review today, as we in the northern hemisphere head into the heart of cozy sweater weather! I hadn't tried it before this week, but it had been on my radar since reading Lisa's thoughts about it, so I was excited to try it out and review it as soon as my latest Haus of Gloi package arrived.

Price: $12 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil with polyseal cap.
Samples: $2.50 for a sample vial.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Haus of Gloi.)
Description from the website: "Pale skin musk, faded perfume, Egyptian amber, softly burning nag champa incense and a fine aged vanilla."

First of all, I want to point out the gorgeous fall-themed background for the photo above--Haus of Gloi used that lovely autumn leaves tissue paper along with some plain tissue paper in yellows, browns, and oranges in my package, and included the leaf card with a handwritten thank you note. I wasn't expecting such a pretty package, and I don't think I received a tracking number from them for this package, so it was a wonderful little surprise of a pick-me-up.

I decided to buy a sample of Cozy Sweater after reading a lot of positive reviews online calling it a cozy incense vanilla. This is a really lovely skin musk scent--there's a slightly fruity-sweet aspect to it when it's wet, reminiscent to me of apricots or osmanthus blossoms, but that fades away for the most part and a soft, slightly powdery vanilla and skin musk blend takes over. It's not vanilla musk, which I think can be overwhelming, but a very soft, gentle musk that wears close to the skin--no sharp edges, no harshness, no eau de feral animal. It's clean, fuzzy, comforting--I'd put it in the Egyptian musk or African musk family.

Because of the soft musk and vanilla combo, it could be construed as veering into Love's Baby Soft territory. The nag champa and amber become more noticeable to me as the scent dries down, and they add a smokiness to the scent, but I find them quite light and well-behaved. I've read reviews where people say this smells very headshoppy and very heavy on the incense, but I guess I've been smelling indie perfumes so long I've built up a mad tolerance to incense smells--to me, this is much more of a white linen-type scent than an incense scent!

I keep getting faint wafts of a floral scent hiding out behind the vanilla/musk as well--jasmine, maybe?--the "faded perfume" listed in the notes? It's not obvious, it's barely anything, but it gives the scent a layer of complexity and interest that does make it smell more like a perfume to me, and not just fabric softener.

All in all, I think this scent deserves the hype it's gotten. I think it's kind of the perfume equivalent of a MLBB (My Lips But Better) lipstick--"my skin scent, but better." It wears close and smells soft and familiar. Sometimes you want a big, sexy statement of a perfume, but sometimes you just want something that smells like warmth and comfort and clean skin, and that's Cozy Sweater.

For other reviews of Cozy Sweater, you can also check out:


Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment