Tuesday, October 28, 2014

By Unknown
OHWTO Bloodmoon Perfume Review
Dark, mysterious, and elusively rare - OHWTO's Bloodmoon has a lot in common with its namesake.

My only exposure to a "blood moon" is the one in Terraria, and when I heard people were all in a tizzy over this year's "blood moon", I was really confused and had no clue what it was. But it's just another name for a Harvest/Hunter's moon! I've always thought they were lovely, beautiful occurrences, so when I rolled out of bed back on October 7th and saw an email from OHWTO about a super-ultra-exclusive-limited-edition perfume, I knew I had to make it mine.

Bloodmoon
Full size: 2mL amber glass bottle for $4.50
Dirty-red Hunter's moon, hanging low in the early morning sky, bathes the path ahead of you in a warm, ruddy glow... Blood Oranges, Leaf Piles, Sandalwood, hints of Black Pepper and Allspice, and a dribble of sticky Vanilla oleoresin to emulate the namesake of this perfume.  
October brings us the final of 4 blood moons this year, and so begins what promises to be an interesting series of perfumes- one for each Blood Moon. The bottles have been placed in a window to bathe overnight in the light of the blood moon. This was a very small batch, as it was something I did just for fun. I've got my bottle, so the rest are up for grabs- when they're gone, they're gone!
I've had mostly favorable reviews for OHWTO fragrances, and I own quite a few full-sized bottles as well. So when a special limited edition fragrance rolls around it's very difficult to say no! But in the case of Bloodmoon, I snagged a "mini" vial (2mL) and figured it'd be a safer bet, even though I'd be getting a lot less product.

Bloodmoon opens with an incredibly dark and moody blood orange. It's not obnoxiously strong, nor is it candy sweet. It has a tangy bitterness that bounces around in the back of my nose. It reminds me a bit of the orange notes in Haus of Gloi's Elevenses, but earthier. 

I was worried the black pepper and allspice would make Bloodmoon too spicy, and doubly concerned that the sandalwood would make everything toasty (as that seems to be the problem I have with most fragrances with sandalwood), but something magical happens when it's combined with the cooling effect from the "leaf piles" and blood oranges. It's the perfect combination, and I love it.

Duration: Unfortunately, Bloodmoon is not perfect. The blood orange top notes don't flit off my skin as quickly as some citrus fruits have, but I do wish they'd sit and stay a while. Pull up a chair! Have some tea! The dry-down is so lovely though. I could never tell you what "vanilla oleoresin" is, but whatever it might be, it seems to round off the nip of peppery spice into something softer and sweeter. I applied Bloodmoon to my wrists at 7AM, but by noon it was mostly gone. Alas!

Score: 4/5
There are only two things that keep Bloodmoon from being positively wonderful. One is that it's weaker than I'd like and does not last on the skin too long. The other is that it was so limited that by the time I received my package (20 days after my order, OHWTO likes to keep you waiting) it was long sold out. Becca was not kidding - this was made in teeny, tiny batches! But I hope she reconsiders bringing Bloodmoon back. Maybe it sounds blasphemous, but I think Bloodmoon is one of the best things to come from OHWTO in a long time, and it smells like a complex, expensive fragrance. 

Who knows, there's another blood moon due in April, 2015... maybe we're in for an encore performance!


0 comments:

Post a Comment