Sunday, October 26, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased


I find myself very fortunate to not only have Kristin as an editor, but to have her as a mentor into the world of independent goods as well. She is much more educated in indie goods than I am and is fantastic at sniffing out a good company. Many of the companies from which I have used products and reviewed have come from her guiding me to them, including this one!

Purplecat Creatives has a fantastic selection of body butters, whipped soaps, sugar scrubs, solid and fluid perfumes in an array of scents, with plenty of sample sets options and full-sized containers. I’m pretty sure Kristin bought more than I did, and I’m sure you’ll see her comments spattered throughout on her thoughts of these products. Personally, I got a whipped soap and sugar scrub and inherited a lotion sample.

Soap Whip

This was much denser than I thought it would be. I had no prior experience to whipped soap before this. I purchased this in the Gossamer scent, because I buy largely by names that make me feel something or I feel that the makeup of oils will be enticing. This fell so flat right out of the container.

Listen to this, “Elegant jasmine and orchid blossoms balanced with black pepper, Bulgarian rose and nuances of oak.” Doesn't that sound beautiful? Smelling it straight out of the container, though, just a hint of soft sweetness and a lot of soap. I was so bummed! But I prevailed and decided to use it in the shower anyway. And the steam transformed it! Holy Good Smells, Batman! My whole shower lit up with the smell of heady flowers, brought down by spices and an undertone of wood. It scoops out and blends into a loofah with ease and froths and foams on your skin. It leaves just a hint of scent behind that feels feminine and lovely. I may be buying other products in this scent just to see if it translates as well because it is such a keeper, but the soap itself is a perfect creation.

Kristin adds: I picked up a couple of Soap Whips in Wish You Were Here and Cheshire Chai.

The texture was definitely interesting. I was having trouble thinking of an appropriate comparison but my boyfriend mentioned that it reminded him of "chilled whipped butter" like the kind you get at diners with your pancakes. It was also my first experience with whipped soap and I was surprised as how well, not-really-whipped seeming it was but the texture is soft and creamy and it lathers nicely.

Scent-wise, I had very opposite experiences with the two that I tried. They both smell very fragrant in the jar, Cheshire Chai may be a little stronger being very "flavorful" seeming in itself. But in the shower, Cheshire Chai becomes MUCH stronger, to the point where the cinnamon scent started to sting my eyes if I used too much. That said, using a little less soap than I'd normally pick up made Cheshire Chai a much better experience. Wish You Were Here, on the other hand, sadly vanished when lathered. I was pretty sad since the smell in the jar was wonderfully fragrant.

Sugar Scrub
(This product was used before photos were taken. Sorry. I got excited and couldn't wait. /sheepish grin)
I would re-title this product Sugar Clay. It is dense, dense, dense. As you can see in the photo, I rolled this into a ball with just a bit of manipulation. There is weight to this scrub that I hadn't seen before. It is thick and full of sugar.

For exfoliating products in the past, I had always been a big believer in LUSH’S Sea Salt Scrub. Never again! It's like pretending water is the same thing as chocolate.  One is thin and starts to get soupy with a couple drops of water in it; the other is rich and thick. You can roll this across your skin, leaving a path of sugar and oils to rub in and exfoliate your skin to a rosy pink fresh layer. I bought this in Wayfarer, and am not entirely impressed by the smell in the shower. There is something that comes out a little bitter, but it has not stopped me from having used almost the entire container already. My husband and I cannot get enough of this amazing scrub!

Body Butter

This is one of those things I used to find hard to expound upon until I tried indie body butters and LUSH lotions. There is something very weird that happens between my skin and some lotions. LUSH lotions will almost never absorb into my skin. Fortune Cookie Soap's body butter flakes off my skin. It's very weird. I am uncertain why this happens. I have only patched tested this body butter, partially because it's a sample and also because it's a very heady smell.

Kristin passed Hothouse Roses onto me when she found that on her skin, it smelled of cinnamon candy and not much else (Kristin adds: It was great for sinus clearing!). To me, it smells like a spicy flower, cinnamon and rose mixed together, worming its way into my brain until it was the only thing I could smell on myself. It's a very strong smell. So far, with just the test patches, I have not found the same problems I have had with other body butter by indie companies. It absorbed well and has not flaked or rubbed off my skin.

Kristin adds: I was fortunate enough to try quite a few of these. I purchased Nevermore and Leaves of Gold but Purplecat also tossed in a few of their discontinued Summer products! To my dismay, I found the discontinued Orange Creamsicle to be my favorite of the bunch! Purplecat also does something pretty cool where they toss in an unmarked jar (see picture) of body butter into their packages. I emailed the owner upon receipt trying to figure out what it was and she directed me to the FAQ page
Unlabeled freebie, what is it?
When I create new fragrances, I start with body butter as my test base. It stays on the skin longer than soap whip or sugar scrub, and the individual layers of that fragrance will unfold more slowly via body butter testing. Sometimes a new scent recipe is good, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Rather than throw away a perfectly good batch of body butter, I package up my experiment and tuck it into orders as freebies.   
These 'no name' scents are still lovely, and if you're one of the rare folks that find one in your order, don't fret! It's in there as a gift, not a mistake. 
I think this is pretty cool. Unfortunately, I really loved the unlabeled freebie and have no idea what it is! I suppose I'll just have to try them all until I figure it out. XD

Final Thoughts

Overall, this was a great purchase choice. The prices are great ($7 for a full size container, $10 for a 6 pack sampler set).  The smells are strong and distinctive. And while you’re there shopping, you can take a glance at the art she has listed as well!


0 comments:

Post a Comment