Thursday, October 16, 2014

By Unknown
This is Our Guinea Pig
This review is for He of the Bushy Beard, or for She who knows He of the Bushy Beard. This is my brother, also known as Our Poor Guinea Pig. When I mentioned in passing to Kristin that he wanted to try beard oil in attempt taming of his Beast, she begged that I ask him to let us review what he used. (Kristin adds: "begged " is a little strong. "persistently inquired" is how I would put it.)

Amazingly, he said yes.

Since his birthday was coming up, I used it as an excuse to send him a beard oil and a beard balm. I had no idea if there was a difference- the only beard I am in constant contact with is rather well groomed because my husband looks silly with bushy facial hair and it causes skin irritation if he lets it get too long. So I randomly selected a couple things off Etsy and sent them off, figuring even if he didn't like them, we would at least have a direction to follow. So here is what we tried:

BeardologyCLE 
All Natural Men's Beard Oil
Avalanche
After using the BeardologyCLE Beard Oil
My first mistake with this item was I picked out the scent based on the smells that both my mother and I like, figuring he would probably like them too. This particular scent is “Cypress, Cedarwood, Lemon, Rosemary, Patchouli, Tea Tree, Mandarin essential oils.” Sounds absolutely amazing to me, but my brother's response was, “This smells like a damn hippy.” He said the smell was too strong to be on his face to begin with, but it settled into a nice, subtle smell that he found he liked after a couple hours. We spent some time that night pouring over other smells they have on their Etsy site, trying to decide what sounded best to him. So I'll take it as a plus.

The full size of this is 2.0 oz, but you can also get a 0.5 oz bottle if you want to try out the scent or product. This was in the description, but I derped and figured that out after I had already purchased the full size. The sample is about half the price of the full size and a quarter the product, so I don't feel too bad purchasing the larger bottle, which will probably last him for some time.

Product Link

BeardBalm's Beard Balm
"The Easiest Way to Grow an Awesome Beard"

This is the only thing they sell, so I figured they'd probably be pretty good at the only thing they make. There's also no added fragrances or essential oils to add scent. Our Guinea Pig's initial reaction to this was much more positive. He said it had a much subtler scent and that he found it overall pleasing. It worked exactly the same as the oil (which is why there is only one after picture), and with just a little hand heat, it applied exactly like the oil. The downside to this product though, he claimed after it settled in, it smelled like, “something you would put on a baby's ass.” That was all the explanation I received. I'm hoping he meant it smelled powdery and not like diaper rash cream. Since this is the only product this company makes, I would probably buy him a different brand next time.

Purchase Link

Readers, have you tried Beard Management, or know anyone who has tried Beard Management? What's been successful and not so successful? Let us know in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment