Sunday, October 12, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased


Kristin finds the best things. She really does. I would love to take credit for this find, but it would be an outright lie. She brought this company to my attention, and since my piggyback on her purchase, I've made a second and am planning on a third.

Kristin adds: The lovely ladies over at /r/indiemakeupandmore introduced me to Solstice Scents. I can't take any credit for finding this wonderful shop! I wanted to make mention of a couple things before Jessye gets into her product review. First, take a look at this awesome packaging.

Awesome packaging
Kristin continues: Packaging isn't something that I'm usually impressed by but this box by Solstice Scents really wowed me. It's perfectly fall-themed for the season and the jars are snuggly cocooned. Also, whoever writes the product labels has amazing handwriting.

Just look at this!
Kristin continues: The labels themselves are wonderfully waterproof and the name doesn't rub off with water. Something I always appreciate when handling with dripping hands. Back to you, Jessye!

This company has so many collections and scents right now, and is apparently popular enough that items I bought not too long ago are sold out and not on the website right now! What a bummer. I limited myself to one collection when I purchased (the Autumn Collection), so let's talk Bath Salts, Body Ganache, and Whipped Soap!

“Foxcroft” 
Dead Sea Salt Milk Bath

Gush! Gush, gush, gush! There are no words for how much I love this product. The first time I used it, I had a hair mask and face mask, both redolent, and this beat them both. I could smell this all the way into my bedroom. The website says that this smell is everything wonderful about an autumn day outside and that it’s like bathing outdoors. It really is. Full of clean air, moss and leaves, it's like a walk in the woods in the chilly air. I love it! It's topped with a little bit of moss that sprang right up and floated around in my first bath. I would have stayed in it until the water went cold, my face mask turned to concrete and then some. This is just fantastic.

I danced for 21 years, but my experience with Epsom salts is basically none. When I was sore, hot shower and more dancing (I had no access to a bath tub in college.)! So the discovery of salts being this mythical thing to fix sore muscles was very weird to me. I can't say if it's the "end all, be all" of bath salt fantastic, but I can tell you, it was soothing, fantastic and I was able to use less of this for more scent and feel than any of the other bath salts I've tried recently.

Other Bath Soaks (Foxcroft is sold out)

 “Gehenna” 
Body Ganache

This was thicker than a body cream but not quite as thick as some body butters I have used in the past. I had some issues with it flaking off the skin on my legs, but it absorbed well elsewhere. For the first hour or two it was on skin, I could smells some of the oils but mostly the cocoa bean butter that is the first ingredient of the product.

Any time there is cocoa butter in a lotion, it is the thing that I smell first and foremost until it absorbs in and the scent fades. The website says this scent is created from red musk, Dragons's Blood, myrrh, and Egyptian musk. I feel like this would create a strong, earthy scent, but I mostly just smelled something very clean and maybe a little musty or old. I like it, but it's very different than I thought it would be.

Other Body Ganache (Gehenna is sold out)

“Wail of the Banshee” 
Creamy Whipped Soap


This is what I expected whipped soap to be. It is light and fluffy, like meringue before baking.

While I am writing this, it is not currently listed on the website, so I can't cheat and tell you what smells are supposed to be in this soap. So, I'm going to tell you what I imagine when I smell this. It's like wandering the woods at twilight in deep Autumn. No humans around, complete stillness. It is full of possibility, impermanence, and magic. Off in the distance, there's a small thatched cottage with smoke coming out of it- a warm invitation out of the crisp wind dancing leaves around you. There's an anticipation like you’re waiting to see what happens next, waiting for that moment when the banshee screams.

Take this explanation with a grain of salt. I hate when people give me stories to buy things because they suck me in, and I end up buying something I sometimes hate because the story was so compelling. All I can tell you is what I think of every time I use it. And this it. I have no other way to explain it to you. I couldn't tell you what oils are in it, only that it makes me happy and takes me away on a journey whenever I open the lid and let the aroma waft over me. It is quite awesome.


Kristin adds: I picked up a Creamy Whipped Soap in Blackburn's Parlor and it's amazing. I totally agree with Jessye's assessment that it's everything I expected a whipped soap to be. It's creamy and light and fizzles a bit when you scoop it from the tub. Blackburn's Parlor is supposed to smell like an ice cream shop and it hits the notes perfectly there. It's sweet like waffle cones and chocolate and lingers a bit even after the shower. I'd catch a note of it every so often within the hour after and it'd be a pleasant surprise. 

Other Creamy Whipped Soap (Blackburn's Parlor is sold out)

Final Thoughts
Kristin notes: Unfortunately most of these products are not currently available. Solstice scents is releasing their Autumn Collection in two separate parts. The first was September 13th with restocks of the part one release on September 28th. As of this posting, the second release is still unscheduled. I am not sure if any of these products will return with part two of the collection. Please let us know if you hear more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment