Tuesday, May 13, 2014

By Unknown
Possets Massachusetts perfume review
Who knew Massachusetts smelled so good?

I've been on the fence about trying out Possets Perfume for a while, despite Valentine's awesome company overview I just kept waffling for the longest time. I think this was largely due to the fact that I was simply too lazy to try combing through the complex catalog of fragrances and found the site itself to be cumbersome to navigate around. However, once I caught wind of a United States-theme collection and discovered my own home Massachusetts as part of that lineup... well, it was meant to be!  (Or... "wicked pissah"? To be honest I don't know a single New Englander who actually says this with a straight face.)

Massachusetts
Full size: 5mL amber glass bottle with polyseal cap for $12.50 USD
Here is the "Bay State". The essence of light dry refinement and unerring good taste. Massachusetts is refreshing and perfect for any time of day or night. Bay, bergamot and cambric tea with crystal musk (a very light and non abrasive variety of musk) a charm of myrtle and the smallest particle of ginger. Beautiful. Wear this and people will immediately assume that you are strictly old money.
So remember when I was fawning over the beautiful Cricket Baby from Lou Lou's Soaps and Scrubs? This is Cricket Baby's elegant cousin who hails from old money. She's more L.L. Bean than Vineyard Vines and has a reserved but warm air about her. 

Massachusetts smells like clean skin with a hint of gingery musk. To be honest I've never ingested bay, bergamot, or "classic" cambric tea, but the description from Possets is spot-on in that this is light and dry. I like that it's not a boozy scent in the least, but don't mistaken the lightness for weakness because this would never work as a thick, heavy scent.  It has a faint citrus twang to it that keeps things sharp. As it settles on the skin, it never loses that lightness but instead melds into something a bit more woodsy. 

What I really love about this scent though is how it seems to creep in and out of my nose's peripheral vision - I really can't think of an elegant way to say this but somehow it will recede and then suddenly I'll catch a whisper of it. There doesn't seem to be must rhyme or reason to how the silage works out because Massachusetts makes its own rules. I've had days where I've worn this and will smell it most of the time, and other days where it will creep in and out on a whim. This isn't a scent that's meant to dominate the center stage though, so its flighty tendencies work well. 

Duration: Massachusetts has a bit of a confusing start (both as a perfume and historically I suppose) - in fact, I was wondering if I applied enough in the beginning because it didn't seem strong at all. But there's a strong, subdued staying power that weaves through the entire day and keeps steady until the very end, which on my skin runs to about 6-ish hours. It hugs to the skin closely but this is just how I like it. Massachusetts (and New England in general) seems to have a reputation for its people being a bit more distant and colder compared to some of the other regions, so of course you won't be smelling us unless you're properly up close. 

Score: 5/5
Even if the name was something else entirely, I still really enjoy this perfume! It smells like a classic staple that you can safely reach for regardless of the season or occasion. To me this is a fragrance version of the quintessential "my lips but better" lipstick every collection seems to harbor, so why not a scent that does just that?  Fresh, clean, and with just the tiniest zing, Massachusetts will be a full-sized purchase soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment