Friday, May 30, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased

Garden of Wisdom has a "purchase with purchase"-type program for sampling new products they are testing out: if you place a regular order, you can select one sample to add onto your purchase. When I was placing my last order with them, I bought a sample of the Restore My Rosey Glow Mask (0.25 oz for $1.25) since the ingredients looked great--my skin loves honey, aloe vera, clay, and hyaluronic acid. I wasn't too sure what benefit the ground rose petals might have, but they sounded luxurious.

Description from the website:
Before using a honey mask, it is important to apply a small amount of honey on skin to test for sensitivities or allergies as honey is a naturally derived substance from plant nectar and may contain trace amounts of pollens.

Method of Application
First, give yourself 10 minutes to enjoy this beautiful, healing and relaxing mask. Apply a thin to medium layer of this mask to your face and neck. Let dry or remove when still moist. Remove product with a soft washcloth and tepid water.

List of Ingredients
Aloe Vera Gel (Organic)
- soothing
- healing
- inhibits growth of some bacteria
Freshly Ground Pink Rose Petals (Organic)
- suitable for all skin types
- especially valuable for dry, sensitive or aging skins.
- soothing
- healing
- antiseptic
- antiviral
- astringent
- bactericidal
Rose Clay (true rose clay)
- Rose clay is rich in trace elements and excellent for sensitive skin! Detoxification properties are excellent. Rose Clay is very gentle and does not draw oils from the skin.
Hawaiian (rare) Organic White Honey
- moisturizing
- hydrating
- our supplier uses a cold, centrifugal, extraction process to get Rare Hawaiian Organic White Honey from the comb into the jar. This cold extraction process allows the naturally occurring enzymes to remain intact and active in the honey.
- antiseptic
- antiviral
- astringent
- bactericidal
Hyaluronic Acid
- Hyaluronic acid is a well researched and tested active, known for its ability to hold over 1,000 times its weight in water. This characteristic makes it one of the best hydrators a person can add to their skin care routine. Hyaluronic acid also protects skin with a light film barrier, while allowing it to breathe. It causes skin to appear more plump, fills in fine lines, and dries quickly without leaving a sticky residue on the skin.
Leucidal SF
- is a probiotic-based preservative created by the fermentation of Lactobacillus in a defined growth medium. Lactobacillus is one of the species of microorganisms used to produce fermented products such as sauerkraut and kimchi, a Korean diatary staple from cabbage. Like many members of the lactic acid bacteria family, Lactobacillus is capable of restricting the growth of other microorganisms by acidifying its environment. However, in addition to acidifying its environment, Lactobacillus also produces novel antimicrobial peptides, also known as bacteriocins, that are capable of providing broad spectrum antimicrobial protection.


Unfortunately, I didn't find this mask to offer a very luxurious experience on the whole. It smells great (like roses) but when I opened the jar, my first thought was of olive tapenade. The mask is a chunky, moist brown mixture with a very unappealing look, rather like chewed food. In any case, after patch testing it with no issues, I decided to try it out on my whole face as directed.

Tasty on bruschetta

Applying this mask felt like trying to paint a wall with used tea leaves. I would take some of the mask out, attempt to smear it onto my face, and chunks of it would just kind of fall off. If I managed by some miracle to get some mask to adhere to my face, if I tried to smooth it down into an even layer, it would crumble off, sending large, damp, clammy blobs of substance down my cleavage.

Eventually, daubed with a patchy, piebald coating of rose-scented tapenade, I decided it was good enough and let it sit for 10 minutes as directed.
ABC face mask
The mask felt somewhat gritty and abrasive as I washed it off--it didn't bother me, but if your skin is sensitive to physical exfoliation, you should be aware that it's not all that smooth. It's pretty mild--nowhere near the level of St. Ives Apricot Scrub in terms of scratchiness, but definitely capable of roughing up sensitive skin.

After removing it, my face felt a little smoother than before, but also a bit dry and tight. Honestly, my skin feels better if I just use any of the individual ingredients that attracted me to the mask in the first place--I have manuka honey and hyaluronic acid serum from Garden of Wisdom, both of which I found more hydrating on their own than using this mask that combines them, and I use Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask from the drugstore if I feel like doing a clay mask.

Bottom line, I'd save your $1.25 and put it towards buying some honey or HA serum rather than this mask if you're looking for a deep hydrating treatment. Smells nice, but the application experience was kind of the clamshell packaging of self-care, and the mask didn't seem like it did anything in particular for my skin.

Although it's only a quarter ounce, the sample jar is big enough for probably three applications of the mask. I decided to try the mask one last time before finalizing my review. I walked into the room where my significant other was working; he looked at me and said, "You've got stuff all over your face."

"It's a mask."

"It's not a very good one."

"...yeah."

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments:

  1. It looks kind of strange indeed, not very mask-like. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete