Thursday, May 15, 2014

By Unknown

The day has finally come where I have run out of brands to write Company Overviews for! So I have decided to try something a little bit different, a picture tutorial! This is my first tutorial so please let me know if there is anything I can improve on. Kristin's amazing Collection Spotlight post convinced me I needed Chinovi's Limited Edition Oh My Gods! Collection, and I've decided to use 3 eyeshadows from that collection for this tutorial: Hermes, a soft, light gold; Apollo, a warm, yellow gold; and Ares, a coppery, reddish brown.      


1. Apply your favourite primer, here I'm using Urban Decay's Primer Potion. 
2. Apply a sticky primer/base, I'm using Femme Fatale Cosmetics' Shadow Magic. I have hooded, oily eyelids and Urban Decay's Primer alone doesn't prevent my eyeshadows from creasing anymore so I have to double prime! 
(P.S. My nail polish is Contrary Polish's Santorini, recently featured in our 5 Incredible Indie Indigos post). 


3-5. Apply Hermes to the inner 1/3rd of the eyelid with a small, flat stiff brush (I'm using a Real Techniques Detailer Brush) using patting motions to minimise fallout.
6. Apply Apollo to the middle of the eyelid.
7-8. Flip the brush over and tap between Hermes and Apollo to blend.


9-11. Apply Ares to the outer part of the eyelid.
12-14. Take a fluffier brush and blend so there are no harsh lines between the three colours.


15. Apply a matte medium brown to the crease, I'm using Chinovi's Brow Powder in Medium Brown.
16-17. Use a clean blending brush to blend out the brown.
18-20. Re-apply any of the original eyeshadows if intensity was lost during blending, then blend again, rinse, and repeat!


21-24. Apply eyeliner. Here I'm using a limited edition Gel Eyeliner by Essence in All Night Brown from the Sun Club collection with a Sigma E65 brush. I didn't want to take the focus away from the eyeshadows so I opted for brown instead of black, and I kept it in a thin line along my lashes following the shape of my eye. My technique is to do the out half of my eye first, then the inner corner, then connect the line in the middle. 
25-26. Take some of the same eyeliner along the lower lashline.
27-28. Smudge the eyeliner on the lower lashline with some of Ares on a pencil brush. 


29. Clean up any fallout, I also like to use this step to sharpen the eyeliner on the lower lashline. Since my eyes aren't very big, I find smudge-y eyeliner on my lower lashline that's blended too far down is not very flattering.
30. Curl eyelashes. My eyes are not very rounded and I find the most comfortable eyelash curler for me is the Shiseido Eyelash Curler (the curve of the Shu Uemura Curler would sometimes pinch the outer corner of my eyelid).
31-32. Apply your favourite mascara(s). My eyelashes are pitifully straight, sparse, and short, so I layer volumising and lengthening mascaras together.


Done! If you want, you can add an inner corner and browbone highlight, but I try to avoid doing that in every look just to have some variety and I didn't want to take away from the warm, golden look. In person I found this looked much more dramatic, I think my lighting and camera has taken away a bit of the intensity. 

Have you created any looks using the OMG Collection? We would love to see what you created, and if you choose to re-create this look, please send us a picture!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment