Saturday, May 10, 2014

By Unknown

Our favorite indie indigos!

Purchased, Blogger Discount


Continuing with our Colors of the Rainbow series, this week we'll be showing you our favorite indie indigos!


Kristin's pick - innocent+twisted alchemy's Death Embrace

Indigo is a really interesting color. With most indigo eyeshadows, the blue and purple notes shift in intensity depending on light source. One of my favorites that clearly shows this duo-chrome nature, I picked ITA's Death Embrace from their Hell Wonderland line.

I've talked a little about it before but for any newcomers to the blog, the Hell Wonderland collection is a set of trios and quads that ITA periodically adds to. Death Embrace is part of a quad called the Sanctity of Solitude. Sadly this particular shadow is currently sold out but I don't believe that it's a limited edition offering so hopefully will be back on the site soon! 

The shadow is a deep blue with strong purple notes that really come out when you see it in just the right angle. As with all ITA shadows that I've tried, it's very pigmented and absolutely gorgeous.



Valentine's pick - Possets Ingido

What else could I pick for this theme but Possets Indigo? When I smell Indigo, the first thing I think of is the nursery rhyme "Lavender's blue"--although it's called "Indigo" and not "Lavender," it's definitely a lavender scent, a creamy, soft, sweet lavender floral infused with notes of rich French vanilla. With its rich, sweet base notes, it's a dead ringer for a batch of lavender-infused ice cream I made for a dinner party years ago. Although I think it's very pretty when it's first applied, it doesn't wear too well on me--it smells a little bitter on my skin after a while, with the herbal aspects of the lavender starting to come to the forefront. It works better for me dabbed onto pillowcases as a soothing sleep scent, where my skin chemistry can't interfere with it.

It's described as follows on the Possets website: "The coldest member of the blue family, indigo has a tenedency to melecholy but it is indeed beautiful. A hint of lavender and a kiss of spice and the tiniest bit of vanilla. This one really needs to get on your skin to show off. Unisex but tending to the feminine. A gorgeous addition to the color wheel at Possets. Characteristics: cool, pretty, cooling, summer scent, herbal, perfumy."


AG's pick - Little Sparrow's Blueberry Lip Jelly

I've posted about Little Sparrow Cosmetics a number of times before, but since Jessica knocked it out of the park with the recent spring collection, I've still got plenty of beautiful new products to show you! Since I don't own any true indigo products, I want to take this opportunity to show you the new Lip Jelly in Blueberry. It's a lovely, rich color that you can build up or sheer out as you please. My camera made it looked especially patchy in the lip swatch, but it looked much smoother in person. Even if you don't want to run around with blue lips, this is a great shade to mix with other colors to create gradients or personalized shades. Stay tuned for my review of more of the spring collection!



Lisa's pick - Silk Naturals' Sapphire

Indigo isn't a color that makes a frequent appearance in my collection. However, the now-discontinued Sapphire from Silk Naturals is one of the few blue/purple hues that actually does see some use. It looks like a silver navy with a purple shift, and it works spectacularly well as a liner when you want to jazz things up from your typical black or browns. Unfortunately, last year the suppler discontinued several different colors, and the last few jars of Sapphire were sold off. It's not uncommon for people to pick up colors that are being discontinued in bulk, so you might get lucky and find one for swap! However, if you need this in your life now and absolutely can't find it anywhere, Bon Voyage (which leans more navy) is a suitable substitute.

2 thick coats, with a base and top coat. Swatches photographed in direct sunlight.

Jeannie's pick - Contrary Polish's Santorini

I visited Greece last year and absolutely fell in love with the island of Santorini, it actually does look like a picture-perfect postcard in real life! When I was browsing Femme Fatale's extensive nail polish catalogue and I saw that there was a nail polish named after Santorini, I had to indulge. Part of the Islands Trio, Santorini is described as a "royal blue with blue and white shimmer." When I think of Santorini, I'm reminded of the whitewashed buildings and their blue roofs, and I think this polish is actually a bit darker than those roofs. Nonetheless it's still a gorgeous colour, but I had a bit of trouble with the formula - I tried to do a thin first coat but it was streaky, so I had to make the second coat quite thick to even it out and cover up the streakiness. The shimmer is very fine and catches the light revealing a beautiful shine, and does not leave a textured/gritty feeling on the nails. I purchased Santorini from Femme Fatale Cosmetics, which is currently closed, but it is also available at Llarowe (USA), Norway Nails, and Mei Mei's Signatures (Singapore).    

What are your favorite indie indigos? Let us know below in the comments! 

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment