Saturday, May 10, 2014

By Unknown
Silk Naturals Botanical Hydration Serum Review
Silk Naturals's Botanical Hydration Serum packs a punch

What if I told you there are indie skincare products out there packed with the same elite ingredients used in expensive products like Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair serum? If you're a skincare junkie this might not come as a surprise, but once you look past the snazzy packaging you get straight to the heart - the ingredients. No matter which way you dress it up, a product is only as good as its ingredients, so what ingredients work so well?

Botanical Hydration Serum
Full size: 1oz bottle with pump top for $8.99 USD
Sample: 5mL dropper bottle for $.99 USD
Designed especially for parched Winter skin!  Botanical Rehydration Serum contains pretty much every hydration ingredient we had in the cupboard. Aloe vera,  tamarind seed extract, oat beta glucans, and hyalauronic acid combine to hydrate and restore your skin.
Talking about skincare is tricky. My holy grail item might give you an outrageous breakout. We're all different, and in some ways finding a skincare item that works for you is like finding a perfume that's just right with your skin chemistry and pleases your nose varies from person to person. 

Regardless, I'm still going to talk about one of my holy grail items. And I find this particular item to be curious in that it doesn't really get a lot of hype either. Silk Naturals offers a plethora of skincare products, from exfoliants to moisturizers. But I find the Botanical Hydration Serum to be extra special. It came to me in a time of need - I'm using Adapalene for acne and wrinkles, and retinoid products are notorious for irritating and drying out your skin, so I needed something that could pack a hydrating punch! 

For reference, Silk Naturals offers several hydrating serums (all four I have tried):

Ingredients:

  • Distilled water - Very clean water, hydrating, also acts as a solvent
  • Organic Aloe Vera Juice - Hydrating, soothing, known for its healing properties (1)
  • Tamarind Seed Extract - There are studies (1, 2) that claim tamarind seed extract is also very hydrating and healing and assists in skin regeneration.
  • Propanediol - Preservative and humectant for helping retain moisture
  • Hyalauronic Acid - Binds to water and considered a powerhouse ingredient for boosting hydration (1
  • Phospholipids and Ubiquinone - Fatty acids used as emulsifiers, also functions as carriers for topical products (1)
  • Gluconolactone - Preservative
  • Sodium Benzoate - Preservative
  • Beta Glucan - Oat, soothing and anti-inflammatory (1)
  • Panthenol - Humectant, Vitamin B5 (1)
  • Dehydroxanthan Gum - Thickener
Silk Naturals Botanical Hydration Serum Review
Botanical Hydration Serum spreads easily
Since I was using Adapalene every night, it became quickly apparent that it was drying me out and making me super sensitive. I loved the results I was getting, but I wasn't loving the dry skin! I sampled every Silk Naturals hydration serum they had available, and I found the Botanical Hydration Serum to be the most effective for my skin.  

One pump from the bottle should be enough for your entire face. It has a slippery, slightly sticky texture. It sinks in pretty quickly too, although I find it leaves the surface of my skin feeling a bit tight for a while after. I've had this same feeling after using the Garden of Wisdom hyaluronic acid serums, but I find the after effects from the Botanical Hydration Serum to be much more pronounced, especially now that my skin is so dry from the retinol. After incorporating it into my routine at night, I haven't experienced any dryness or stinging, and it seems to have evened out my skin's texture as well.

Because of the pump applicator, I was a little worried it would spurt everywhere (similar to my experiences with the runny Super Serum), but this serum is thicker. Although some people might feel this works well enough on its own, I personally am of the mindset that I'd rather be more moisturized than less, so I suggest following up with your moisturizer of choice after!

Disclosure: Although the Botanical Hydration Serum is not marketed as an exfoliating product and contains no exfoliating ingredients, the BHA Toner was marketed as an exfoliating toner, despite not having a pH to really exfoliate. Silk Naturals has since changed the language on their website. When buying indie cosmetics, there is always a balance of trust between consumer and shop, so keep this in mind when making a purchase.


0 comments:

Post a Comment