Friday, July 31, 2015

By Unknown
So I talked about my general feelings about Black Phoenix Trading Post/Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's hair gloss in this review of the Coconut, Vanilla Bean, and Tiare gloss, a haircare staple for me. I also mentioned in that review that I wanted to branch out to other scents but didn't want to have multiple bottles of very expensive hair stuff on the go at the same time; too rich for my blood (this is $30 for 5 oz)--but that statement went out the window the instant I saw that they had made Revenant Rhythm hair gloss.

Revenant Rhythm is the resurrected version of Banshee Beat, a perfume that BPAL made for Urban Outfitters for a while as a retail exclusive. Both scents are described as "A tousled, sexy mix of patchouli, vanilla, and hemp." While Revenant Rhythm is currently only available in limited edition Black Phoenix Trading post products (hair gloss, atmosphere spray, and bath oil), it will be added to the BPAL general catalog soon!

I got into perfumes shortly after Banshee Beat had been discontinued, but I got my hands on a bottle of it via the second-hand market and it was TRUE LOVE. Up until that point, I had vehemently hated all patchouli scents, finding them musty and disgusting, but the sweet vanilla and hemp combined with the patchouli to somehow make a magical, dark, smoky, sexy vanilla scent that I just couldn't get enough of. All three elements are present in almost equal quantities, and it smells woodsy and earthy but not dirty or musty. I want to call it nutty, from the hemp, although usually nut perfumes make me want to gag, so I hesitate to use that term here--but I think it's accurate for the hemp note.

I was heartbroken that it was no longer for sale, but since I've never finished a full bottle of perfume and I had a bottle and a half of Banshee Beat in my clutches, I figured I'd be fine.

Still, when I saw that Revenant Rhythm hair gloss was being released as a limited edition, I immediately ordered a bottle of it despite still having a good quantity of my Coconut, Vanilla Bean, and Tiare hair gloss left. I couldn't miss out on this opportunity to essentially bathe in my beloved Banshee Beat.

I was pleased to find that the scent of the Revenant Rhythm is almost exactly the same as the perfume. I tried spritzing some on one wrist and dabbing Banshee Beat on the other for a closer comparison. The Banshee Beat patchouli smells stronger and more complex to me, with a sort of tangy floral/herbal element to it; I don't know if this is due to the aging, or the particular component being used, or just the fact that one is a perfume oil and the other is diluted into hair gloss. The Revenant Rhythm remains sort of flat-smelling, without as much depth, and has a stronger, sweeter vanilla element, which is actually really nice for a hair product.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the label on my bottle is kind of wrinkled--I expected better when paying $30 for a small bottle of hair product--doesn't make a huge difference, but it was mildly annoying. The spray nozzle for the hair gloss produces a much finer mist than my other bottle of hair gloss, to the point where I have to hold my breath while spraying this or it makes me cough. The scent is pretty strong, so it honestly works better for me as a hair perfume than as a conditioner/gloss--I think applying a large amount of this might make it overpowering. The scent lingers for days, and doesn't really morph over time.

Conclusion: this is amazingly great and you should buy all the Revenant Rhythm products while they're still available, and pour them all over your body, immediately.

I remember going to a bar a couple of years ago and my hair accidentally falling in a friend's beer when I was leaning over the table. I apologized and he said, "That's OK, your hair smells really good" and asked what it was. I wasn't wearing anything in my hair, though--he was smelling my Banshee Beat perfume. So, Valentine's random friend agrees: this is a Good Scent for hair.

You can find other reviews on the BPAL forums.

2 comments:

  1. I dont know about the scent not sure if is something for me But I seriously love the name Banshee sounds so mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would like a patchouli scent before trying this one, either! I like the name Banshee Beat, but Revenant Rhythm is a clever way to resurrect it without implying it's exactly the same.

      Delete