Tuesday, July 28, 2015

By Unknown


Continuing on with my chain of Smelly Yeti reviews (see also Owlcat and Hey, McFly), I'm on to one of the Buffy perfumes--Demon Magnet.

Price: $15 for a 7.4 mL glass bottle of perfume oil with glass applicator wand. Shipping details can be found here.
Samples: You can buy a set of 5 samples (pick your own) for $15. The samples come in cute, squat 1.3 mL amber glass mini bottles. They do not have an applicator wand or polyseal or reducer cap.
Description from the website: ""I laugh in the face of danger, and then I hide until it goes away."
Cedarwood, dirt, sweet and salty musks, and a trace hint of that lumberyard je ne sais quois. No wonder Anya can't resist him. Maybe the demons will flock to you too, once you smell like a hot carpenter."

This was actually, surprisingly, my favorite scent of the entire order. It ended up being one of those perfumes I apply, forget about, and then remember once I smell something wonderful that ends up being me.

My grandfather used to have a little bottle of this classic cologne called 4711 that I remember from my childhood. (I actually forgot what it was called, only that it was named with 4 numbers, and had to start Googling "cologne 1", "cologne 2" and so on until the autocomplete filled it in for me. Thanks, collective external memory of the world!) This scent reminded me of that, although I haven't smelled it in a couple of decades at least so I'm not sure if this is accurate or completely misleading--but my impressions are of a fresh, lightly citrussy muskiness, smelling recognizably like cologne without being overly perfumey or soapy. At this stage, it reminds me a bit of BPAL's very sweet and girly perfume Vasilissa, actually, which makes me wonder if they share a note--the pink musk or skin musk?  

As it dries down, it starts to smell distinctly clean and aquatic, with the "salty musk" coming to the forefront. I normally stay far away from aquatics--one of my least favorite fragrance families--but I was surprised to find I liked this aquatic stage a lot. It's nice to still be surprised by very basic things about perfumes every so often, after having smelled hundreds if not thousands of different indies!

Underneath the salty musk, I can smell the cedarwood, one of my favorite perfume notes--it mingles with the musk to keep it from smelling like just pure cedar shavings (I'd be OK with that, though, actually) and it just smells nice. Unisex leaning masculine, and clean without being soapy or sharp or perfumey. I like this scent on myself, but I'd like it on a guy, too. Less like my distant memories of 4711 at this point, and more of a "my skin but better" type of scent--subtle, woodsy, fresh, lingering close to the skin. It doesn't ever smell especially like dirt to me, nor does it necessarily strike me as a Xander type of fragrance (smells a bit too put-together!), nor do I find it especially long-lasting, but who cares? It smells good! I approve.

For other opinions, check out More Tea, Wesley, Beauty on a Beer Budget, or Gigi the Girly.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment