Tuesday, July 14, 2015

By Unknown



I placed my first order with Smelly Yeti quite recently and reviewed their scent Owlcat the other day. Today I thought I'd share my thoughts on what I think is one of their more popular perfumes, Hey, Mcfly, a perfume inspired by Back to the Future.

Price: $15 for a 7.4 mL glass bottle of perfume oil with glass applicator wand. Shipping details can be found here.
Samples: You can buy a set of 5 samples (pick your own) for $15. The samples come in the cute, squat 1.3 mL amber glass mini bottles you can see in the photo above. They do not have an applicator wand or polyseal or reducer cap.
Description from the website: "“Give me a Pepsi Free.”
“If you want a Pepsi, pal, you’re gonna pay for it.”


Inspired by old 50s ice cream parlors, this scent mixes fizzy cola and root beer with sweetshop vanilla to create a surprisingly unisex/masculine end result. Slather some on, go to the big dance. It's your density."

I was really looking forward to this scent, having heard lots of good things about it online, but I found it weirdly medicinal when sniffed cold, and when first applied on my skin.

After a minute or two, I smell the sweetness and fizziness of the soda scents more than the medicinal aspect, with the root beer dominating over the cola, but it still doesn't smell like real root beer to me--more like root beer gummi candies, or something? There is a certain artificial quality that keeps it from smelling real and deep to me.

The vanilla note is quite creamy and ice cream-like, and I found it developed more the longer I had this scent in my possession--I barely smelled it when I first got this sample, but a few weeks on, the vanilla has become much stronger. The drydown of the scent is a pleasant if fake-smelling French vanilla sharpened by the root beer and cola fizz.

My only qualm is that I think something either in Smelly Yeti's carrier oil or their vanilla note doesn't quite agree with me. I noticed an oddly soapy shaving cream type of smell in this perfume, much like with Owlcat, that kept elbowing into my consciousness and keeping me from fully enjoying this as a Coke float/root beer float type of scent; I felt like I had one foot in the soda fountain and one in the barbershop next door. I suppose it makes it arguably less gourmand and more wearable to have this inedible aspect in the scent, but I think I would have enjoyed it more as pure root beer fizz and ice cream.

Still, on the whole, I think it's a very nice perfume, and I've found myself reaching for it quite a bit since I've had it! I think it has pretty good sillage and lasting power--it's one of those scents I find myself getting unexpected heady whiffs of if I put it on my neck or cleavage, as opposed to a faint scent that I have to sniff my wrists to appreciate after first application.

For other opinions, check out More Tea, Wesley, Scents and Sea Spray, or Monolid Make Up.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment