Tuesday, July 7, 2015

By Unknown
Sweet Anthem Perfumes Peter Review
If I were a man, Peter is the kind of man I'd aspire to smell like

Recently I discovered that Meredith of Sweet Anthem Perfumes is expecting a baby any day now! The shop will be closed until some time in September. I have loads of Sweet Anthem samples tucked away, and with the shop closing soon, I figured it'd be a fun time to check in on some of my untouched scents. The one that called loudest to me (partly because it was also my largest size!) was a solid perfume stick of Peter that I received from the SA list last year.

Peter

Eau de Parfum, Perfume Oil, Solid Perfume
A black currant-champagne cocktail for the Emperor after a long day out on the hunt, sipped as he daydreams about a certain wooden tallship. Champagne, matcha tea, black currant, lemon, leather, patchouli.
I always get skittish around any fragrance that boasts patchouli. I've had such bad experiences in the past, I am certain my skin and patchouli are mortal enemies. But I also cannot resist black currant and matcha... eating them, that is. Smelling like them? I'm not too sure. I really like drinking matcha, but my past experience with Wendy, another Sweet Anthem Perfumes catalog entry, I don't think the matcha note they use is quite... matcha-y?

Before I get in too deep, I just want to say that I really, really love the short story given to Peter. Normally I'm kind of ambivalent towards stories tied to perfumes, but I love how it paints such a clear picture of exactly they way Peter smells to me (let's hear it again!):

A black currant-champagne cocktail for the Emperor after a long day out on the hunt, sipped as he daydreams about a certain wooden tallship. 


There is something very elegant, regal, and manly about Peter. This is a man who does not want for much in his life. It's softly spiced with a faintly sweet whisper of old wood and a twinkle of citrus. What I like best about this blend is that I can't really pick out individual notes. They all mix so harmoniously together. The lemon and leather are probably the only two I can really pick out if I had to try my best. I really like how clean and foresty Peter is, but it's not "earthy" in a "notes of soil" sense.

Duration: Not an obnoxious powerhouse, but certainly no pushover either. I like to sometimes apply Peter before drifting off to sleep and still catch lingering traces when I wake up. I use a light hand to apply it though, especially since I am not accustomed to solid perfumes.

Score: 4/5
I don't typically dabble with masculine fragrances. I'm as frou-frou-frilly-girly as they come! But... I guess Peter is kind of like my "powersuit" for perfumes. Sometimes I just want to SMELL powerful and confident - I want to be that confident emperor. Although Sweet Anthem Perfumes is closing up shop and not much remains for Peter in stock, I'd recommend at least sampling it at some point!

0 comments:

Post a Comment