Wednesday, July 9, 2014

By AG

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to show you the Shiro Color of the Month for July 2014 and the current limited edition Detrivore products! I'm also going to try something new and show you an Eye of the Day (EotD) using these shades. There are some real stunners this month, so make sure to pick up these limited edition shades soon if you want them!

(Editing to add a quick post-publication note - we won't be moderating the comments for Game of Thrones spoilers, so enter at your own risk!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: A color for the gorgeous Oberyn Martell, Prince of Dorne, Elia’s avenger, and father to the Sand Snakes.

Bronze-gold with a red shift and subtly metallic finish. Color suggestion by Brittney L.

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide, bronze powder, copper powder, silica. Lip-safe!

Personal Comments: This is a really lovely shade, inspired by Oberyn Martell's costume in the show Game of Thrones. The site description is pretty spot-on here. The base shade sits somewhere between bronze and gold, and it takes on a light but noticeable metallic finish over a sticky base. The red shift is light-to-moderate and shows up over a sticky base in good lighting. Some Shiro shades get their shift from a surfeit of tiny sparkles whereas others have more of a true, glowy duochrome, and I'd say this shade falls right in the middle of those two effects. I found the red shift was extremely difficult to catch on camera, even in bright lighting, so please note it's a little more prominent than you seen in the swatch photo above. When blended out over bare skin or a silicone primer, it's more of a rich mustard color, and the sparkles and shift more or less disappear.

Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. Photos taken outside in strong sunlight.

Purchase Link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip Safe

Sheer peachy matte highlight.

Price is for one full-size jar. Limited quantities available!

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, carnauba wax, magnesium myristrate.

Personal Comments: As I've mentioned before, Detrivore's mattes have a pretty amazing reputation, and this shadow definitely lives up to it. It's creamy, light, pigmented, easy to work with, and blends out easily without disappearing. It's a little too dark to work as a true highlight shade for my ~NC15 skin, but it's still a great neutral shade. It sheers out or builds up to full opacity without getting cakey, which adds to its versatility. If you find yourself in need of a light peachy matte, this is an excellent option, so make sure to nab one before it's gone!

Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion. Photos taken outside in strong sunlight.

Purchase Link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip Safe

Palest creamy gold with a satin finish.

Price is for one full-size jar. Limited quantities available!

Ingredients: serecite mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide.

Personal Comments: Creamy is right; this truly does have the beautiful color and satin finish of cream, plus a gold tint and some added sparkles. It's so delicate and feminine! It only took one use for me to name it my new favorite inner corner highlight. The cream base plus the gold tint work so well against my warm-toned skin.

Swatch done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. Photos taken outside in strong sunlight.

Purchase Link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In her Facebook announcement for these shades, Caitlin mentioned that these three shades "make an absolutely gorgeous trio for summer", so obviously I had to try it out. I'm still learning how to properly photograph my own eyeballs, but the pictures came out well enough this time that I'll share them with you:




To achieve this look...
1. I started with a thin layer of silicone primer (I used Urban Decay Primer Potion) all over the lid, up to the brow, and into the inner corner.
2. I have some discoloration on my lids, so I patted a matte shade in my skin tone all over my eye to start with an even canvas.
3. Next I patted Detrivore's Embalm all over the lid, up to and a little into the crease, using a paddle-shaped shadow brush.
4. Then, I picked up a bit of Shiro's The Red Viper on a fluffy blending brush and ran it through my crease and outer v, blending it into Embalm as I went. I also took a bit more of my skin toned shadow on the blending brush and used it to blend the outer edge of The Red Viper to my satisfaction.
5. Next, I applied a little bit of Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy along my lower lashline, but I didn't apply any shadow over it yet because it works better if you let it dry for a bit (for more Pixie Epoxy tips, see this super helpful post from guest poster Cosmos!).
6. While waiting on the Pixie Epoxy, I applied some of Detrivore's Lobotomy under the arch of my brow and in the inner corner of my eye to highlight.
7. Finally, I used a detail brush to apply The Red Viper over the Pixie Epoxy along my lower lashline. I really loved seeing the difference between the soft mustard tones of this shadow when blended in my crease versus the gorgeous red-copper metallic finish it takes on over the Pixie Epoxy!

I think Caitlin is absolutely right that you can make a beautiful eye look with just these three shades. I have warm-toned skin, so I think these warm-toned shades work well on me. If I were to wear this out, I'd add some warm brown eyeliner and mascara to tie everything together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case it wasn't completely clear, I think Shiro and Detrivore really knocked it out of the park this month! I highly recommend picking up these shades before they disappear! Do any of these catch your eye?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

3 comments:

  1. Remember I told you I had concubine? when I made my purchase with my gift card that day I was hoping they had embalm , I really wanted that shade I ended getting Obituary and autopsy samples. Obituary was disappointing I trough it was a lil bit darker than it looks in real life then I would use it all over lid shadow, is a nice color but it can be a lite whitish for my NC15 skin. But autopsy at the other hand is a wonderful color. I really think this Game of thrones Character deserved that eye shadow. He didn't deserve to die so bad , and the only thing he was doing was fighting for the honor of his beloved sister Elia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame Detrivore's Graveyard Collection isn't around anymore, I think you would have found lots of good matte choices in there!

      Delete
    2. I know I sawt the swatches they really had shade would work for me, I prefer matte and as neutral shade possible for eyeshadow, need to be barely there

      Delete