Friday, July 25, 2014

By AG

Hi everyone! Today I'd like to give a quick review of the Bath Soaks from indie perfume shop Solstice Scents. I'd like to share some pros and some cons about this product.


The product's full name is Dead Sea Salt Oatmeal Milk Bath. Before I get into my review, I'll share some of Solstice Scents' information about the bath salts. Here's the shop's sales pitch:
Hot baths not only help to ease your muscle tension, de-stress from today's hectic lifestyles, meditate and unwind, but they can also be rejuvenating, skin nourishing and detoxifying experiences. Baths have long been used for all of these reasons, along with healing and medicinal uses.
With the Dead Sea Salt Milk Bath, you can indulge and reap the benefits of these nourishing ingredients.
The shop lists the following ingredients:
INGREDIENTS:  Dead Sea Salt (Coarse & Fine), Epsom Salt, Pink Salt, Tapioca Starch, Baking Soda, Fragrance and/or Essential Oil(s) as indicated on label.
And they share the following information about the ingredients:
DEAD SEA SALT - This salt is a potent powerhouse of minerals that can assist with increasing circulation, preventing water retention (calcium), combating stress (Magnesium), relieving muscle stiffness (bromides) and so much more.
EPSOM SALTS - Helps to reduce inflammation, ease pain and relieve stress (due to the Magnesium Sulfate being absorbed into the body via the bath, replenishing the magnesium in the body). It helps to draw out toxins, neutralize odors, soften skin...and the list goes on.
BAKING SODA  -  Water softener.  Helps to keep salts free flowing (anti-caking).  



Personally speaking, I'm mostly in it for the scent (and I should note up front that Garden Gate is sadly discontinued!). When I want an effective salt bath, I'd rather buy a giant bag of Epsom salts at my local pharmacy to soak sore muscles. That said, Solstice's salts work beautifully for giving me a perfectly scented and relaxing bath. I've been portioning the salts out to get about four baths out of this 8oz jar, and given the current price of $9.75, that works out to a cost per bath that works for me. 2oz (a quarter of the jar) is enough to make my small bathroom smell great, but not so much that it gives me a headache. It comes beautifully presented with lavender buds on top (for this particular scent, at least!) in one of the brand's nearly opaque blue tubs.

Unfortunately, there is one big drawback that prevents me from stocking up on these salts. The jar has some heft to it, which means shipping it across the country doesn't come cheap. I put one in my cart a moment ago and plugged in my zip code, and the shipping worked out to just a couple of dollars less than the price of the product. Shipping only goes up as I add more items to the cart. As bad as I feel boiling an indie brand's gorgeous handmade goods down to pure numbers, I can't justify picking up these bath salts more frequently than on rare occasions to treat myself. I believe I picked up Garden Gate when it was on sale before being discontinued, which brought the cost back down to a level with which I was more comfortable.

If you can handle the cost, this makes for a luxurious and beautifully scented bath. Unfortunately for me, my budget requires me to limit its purchase to the rare sale, or in scents I can't live without.

Have you tried Solstice Scents' Bath Soaks? Do you factor in shipping when you're planning out your orders? I'd love to hear your experiences in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments:

  1. When I have ordered these in the past shipping has been the same whether I order 1 or 6 ($10), sometimes I order a bunch to make it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's a very good tip! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete