Saturday, July 5, 2014

By AG

Hey everyone! In the same vein as our recent Shiro face product party, today I'd like to show you all the current Detrivore Cosmetics blushes! You can purchase Detrivore products from brand distributor Shiro Cosmetics. I purchased some of these blushes, and some were included free in a recent order. Please note that Detrivore is not a strictly vegan company (unlike distributor Shiro, which is 100% vegan) so make sure to check the listings closely if you have ingredients concerns.

I want to apologize for the lack of pristine packaging photos - this was the second round of swatches due to some technical difficulties. On to the photos!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Matte reddened beige.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, tin oxide.

Personal Comments: Apocalyptic makes me think of red clay. It's got a lovely earthiness to it. Unfortunately I believe it's red enough that it starts wading into sunburn territory on my pale skin (I'm roughly NC15 or Meow Sleek Korat for reference) but I believe this would look gorgeous on warm-toned people who are at least a couple of shades darker than I am. Oddly enough it's a matte that doesn't act like a matte - it's got a lovely "inner glow" type of sheen to it when blended out, and it also has some sporadic added sparkles. None of this should scare off matte blush lovers, though - it's quite subtle! It's a perfect blush opacity, neither too sheer nor too pigmented. As with all our blush swatches, it's swatched heavily on the left and blended out on the right.

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Eye-Safe, Not Lip-Safe

Medium matte blue with a periwinkle tint.

Ingredients: serecite mica, magnesium myristrate, ultramarine blue, titanium dioxide.

Personal Comments: I would call this more a pastel blue than a medium blue, but I do see the periwinkle tint - it leans a bit more lavender than true blue. Like most of the other Detrivore blushes, it has a lovely and subtle skin-like sheen when blended out, but it is otherwise matte. It's worth noting that it's quite sheer, much moreso than the other blushes. The heavy swatch you see above took three or four rounds of tapping pigment onto my arm and smushing it into place with a brush. In the blended swatch, I noticed it let my blue veins and some of the natural redness in my skin show through pretty clearly. It's showing up even more sheer on my screen than it did in person, so keep it mind it's got a bit more opacity than you see above.

Of course the obvious question here is, what do you do with a blue blush? Aside from costume makeup (for all the inevitable White Walkers we'll be seeing come Halloween), blue blushes are great for blending with other colors to make your own custom cheek color. For example, if you want to cool down a pink blush, try blending a bit of Bluebeard over the top and see what happens!

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Matte, muted purpley-beige.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, titanium dioxide, carnauba wax.

Personal Comments: I'm kind of in love with this blush! It's one of those gorgeous, earth-toned shades that makes a pale person's perfect neutral cheek color for no-makeup makeup, or to back up a bolder eye look or lip color. Though a fairly different color, it reminds me of mainstream neutral blush favorite Tarte Exposed, in that it should help define your features and give color to your face without looking like you're wearing blush. Like Apocalyptic, the color makes me think of clay, though it's been cooled down with some mauve tones. Also like Apocalyptic, it's neither too sheer nor too opaque. It's quite matte, but when blended out it takes on this lovely, subtle sheen when it catches the light. It won't make you sparkle, but it should give you the tiniest bit of inner glow. This is definitely one of my favorites.

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Matte, pale peachy yellow.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, carnauba wax.

Personal Comments: This is a very peachy color, bordering on a pastel orange. If you add some white to your classic Creamsicle color, this is what you might get. It's quite matte and somewhat sheer, but not as sheer as Bluebeard. Though it looks great on its own, it's pretty unusual for a blush color, and I find myself curious to mix it with some other shades to see how it changes them. I believe this one has a slightly more powdery finish than the others, which means it doesn't blend quite as seamlessly with my skin as the other shades. This increases my suspicions that it's got a white base. If it does, though, it's definitely one of the better white-based blushes I've seen! A quick note on color accuracy - obviously my camera couldn't handle the orange tones in the powder macro shot (that was the best of a bunch of photos!), but the actual swatch photos look pretty true-to-life.

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Sheer pale matte lilac.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, magnesium myristrate, titanium dioxide, tin oxide.

Personal Comments: Be still, my beating heart! This was the shade I was most drawn to on Shiro's website and it doesn't disappoint. It's another matte shade with some added sparkles, but the sparkles all seem to blend away on the cheek. This is a touch more purple than it's appearing on my screen, but not so much that it should scare lovers of natural blush colors away. If you want to dip your toe into the purple blush fad without scaring your relatives, this is an excellent shade for it. It looks like a very natural mid-toned pink blush from a few feet away, but up close, the soft lilac shades come out for a quietly unusual twist on your everyday blush. It's perfect.

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Not Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Vivid matte pink.

Ingredients: serecite mica, magnesium myristrate, carmine, titanium dioxide.

Personal Comments: Vivid is right - this is a very bright pink! Don't be too scared by the color in the bag, though - as with most of the other shades, this sheers out nicely for a more approachable wash of color. I suspect this would be one of the better Detrivore shades for darker skin tones, since it doesn't seem to have a white base and builds up nicely. This one also has some sparkles added to the matte base, but as with the other shades, the sparkles appear to blend away easily. By happy accident the blended swatch (lower right) ended up over a freckle on my arm, so that should help you gauge the blush's opacity.

Swatches done over bare skin, swatch and packaging photos taken outside on a sunny day, powder macro taken indoors under bright lights.

Purchase Link
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to talk briefly about the performance of these blushes. Detrivore has long been known for their fantastic matte eyeshadow formula, and we definitely reap the benefits of that expertise in these matte blushes. They blend out evenly with minimal effort, and feel great even on my absurdly dry skin.

I want to tell you about the time when I accidentally gave Lilith a trial by fire. I was so excited to try it on that, in my infinite wisdom and patience, I dumped some out on the back of my hand, spread it out roughly, and applied it with my fingertip... at the end of the day... when I hadn't washed my face in about twelve hours. And guys, it looked almost presentable. The edges actually blended out. It looked a little funny over my dry patches, but otherwise it more or less worked. Now that's a seriously impressive powder.

Have you tried Detrivore's blushes? Do any of these pique your interest? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I have concubine and lilith sample, I wish to know how you apply it, Concubine i have the full jar, but , when i apply it with a brush to much product comes in. So how do you pick a powder blush it best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your powder blushes! They can be really tricky but I have a few tricks that might help. I like to tap a bit of powder into the jar lid (or onto the back of my hand, for sample bags) and work from there so I'm only starting with a little bit of powder. A soft, loose brush can help make sure you don't pick up too much powder - a stippling brush or a fan brush can be really helpful here. Once I put powder on my brush, I always stipple the brush tips on my hand or arm before I apply it to my face. All of these steps make sure I'm using as little powder as possible. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much I was putting my fan brush in the jar and apply then directly to my face , that was what I was doing wrong. Thank you for helping. I like this blush concubine very much I won it a give away and I really want to go cautious with it so I wont spell to much product either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than happy to help! It really is a gorgeous color :D

      Delete
    2. Yes it is, today i tried your method it worked perfectly

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's wonderful news! I'm so glad it worked for you! :)

      Delete