Sunday, July 13, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased


Recently, I was very fortunate to be gifted Fortune Cookie Soap’s trial sized Candy Aisle box from another of our amazing bloggers. I’m going to be honest with you here – I don’t generally like candy-scented things. Smells are linked into your brain through the limbic system, the part of your brains that controls emotions, behavior and long-term memory. So your brain will almost never wake up one day and decide that it likes a new smell that for years you had never enjoyed. With that in mind, there are a few general scented things, like candy and baked goods, of which I am just not a fan. Happily, I was pleasantly surprised by some of this.

“Blow Me!” 
Lip Scrub


It smells honestly exactly like bubblegum. I know this because, along with my formative years of always chewing original flavored bubble gum (it was the best flavor), they conveniently threw in a piece of original flavored Double Bubble for your chewing pleasure. This particular lip scrub was a little drier than other lip scrubs I have used in the past. I made a bit of a mess putting it on my lips. Once on, it stuck great. I personally wash the sugar off with water after I’ve rubbed my lips together to my heart’s content. But that’s because I don’t like the taste and texture of raw sugar. This particular lip scrub tasted exactly like bubblegum, which was a lovely relief, compared to another bubblegum lip scrub, which my roommate fondly states, “It tastes like butt.” My lips were soft and chapstick/lipstick/lip something ready once they were sugar free.

Purchase Link

“Rock Your Socks Off” 
Solid Sugar Scrub


Before this, I had not tried Fortune Cookie’s sugar scrubs. What a fun experience! The bubbling you see in the photo is actually fizzing, which is both tingly and a little chilly. This scrub smells exactly like grape sorbet. You’ll also notice in the photo a lot of pebbling. There are so many oils in this scrub that the water on my hands is pebbling on top of them. If you have dry skin, or like a little bit of extra moisture in your shower so you don’t have to moisturize straight out of the shower, this is a fantastic scrub for that. It exfoliated my skin to silky smooth. However, I am a lover of hand creams and body lotions, so this particular scrub was a little too oily for me, and the oils sat on top of my skin instead of absorbing.

Kristin adds: I was curious to try one of FCS's scrubs and Jessye was kind enough to pass this on to me after reviewing it. I used it in the shower and after a few rubs, it fell apart apart. There's a note on the purchase page saying that it's been "reformulated to prevent crumbling" so apparently this wasn't an uncommon problem.

Purchase Link

“Lick Your Lips” 
Fortune Cookie Soap


This one is going to be pretty short, sweet and to the point. It’s soap. It either works or it doesn’t. And you either like the smell or you don’t. Happily, this soap works really well. Fantastically. It pulled off all the extra oils on my hands from the “Rock Your Socks Off” Solid Sugar Scrub. It smells like peppermint ice cream and dark chocolate, which I do not like.  I do not even like the smell of cocoa butter. But, as we discussed earlier, there are just some smells you will never like. It does not change the fact that the soap works wonderfully.

Purchase Link

“Lemon Drop It Like It’s Hot” 
Microdermabrasion Facial Scrub


As you can see, I’m showing this to you on my hands. While my skin is not super sensitive, every time I change product, I get three extra pimples, at least. I like to know how a product is going to feel and react on my hands before I put it on my face. That being said, this is quite possibly, one of the most amazing microdermabrasion facial scrubs I have ever felt. I do facials every two months and regularly have my own abrasive facial cleanser, but this is by far the BEST I have ever felt. It is chock full of all those yummy little things to get that dead skin off your face and help get into those pores. And it has the most per ounce that I have ever felt on my skin. And that doesn’t even get to the scent. A soft lemon scent that’s not overpowering; neither too sugary nor too stringent. It was absolutely fantastic.

Purchase Link

“Lollipop Your Cherry” 
OCD Hand Sanitizer


Sadly, the hand sanitizer came in at a disadvantage. I do not like hand sanitizers…at all. They leave my hands dry. My hands never feel clean after them. I just don’t like them. And this one smells like a cough drop to me, which certainly did not endear itself. Like most hand sanitizer, it has a strong alcohol smell to it, which makes the cherry smell fairly astringent. I was just not a fan, but that is mostly on me and the fact that I don’t like them.

Purchase Link

“Captain’s Berried Booty” 
Whipped Cream


I love lotion. I will buy bottles of it at a time. And then grow tired of them before they’re gone. And buy more bottles. I love lotion. Someday I will show you my dirty little secret of all the bottles of lotion I hide from my husband so I can buy more. The thicker body lotion is, the more I love it. I never buy anything thinner than body cream. So it should come as no surprise that I love the texture, the thickness, and the moisturize capabilities of this whipped cream. I HATE the smell. I read a review stating it smells exactly like Cap’n Crunch Berries cereal. I do not disagree. I also hate the smell of Cap’n Crunch Berries cereal. For me the smell was overpowering and I was drowning in it. The only upside to it was that it drowned out the smell of the other things on my hands I did not like. But the lotion? Oh hell yes.

Purchase Link

“The Sweet Spot” 
Sparkle Me


“Fresh picked melon, strawberries, and peaches twisted with sour mandarin oranges and pineapple, all sprinkled with a touch of sugar.” This particular product has been sitting on my hands the entire time I’ve been writing this. So, about an hour or two. I cannot smell really any of that. What I do smell is fairly indescribable. It is sweet. It isn’t very pervasive. I sprayed the crap out of my hand to give you that beautiful glitter display (Please excuse my chipped nail polish. I had not intended to take the photos when I did. It was a spur of the moment, but happily the nails do match!). My hands are not overpowering in odor, which is great because the more glitter, the more the world can see just how much you sparkle!  I would almost call the scent “candied blueberries.” There is a definite “blue” smell to it. I’m sure you know what I mean- certain products that happen to be the color blue, often have a smell to them that can only be described as “blue.” It could also be that there were just so many lingering smells by that point that it muddled the scent. Regardless of what it is, I like it. It’s soft, it’s feminine, it’s a little fruity, and it’s a little ethereal. I’m sitting here sniffing myself to try and find a good way to describe it, and I’ve yet to give myself a headache, which is a very positive note in my book.

Purchase Link

“Sweet Dreamsicle” 
Wax Tart

There is no photo for this one because I would have to find a way to rig something together to melt this. I am just not cool enough to own a Wax Tart melting thingie. What I can smell from the wax brick itself, it is quite soft, a little citrusy rounded out and mellowed by the vanilla and it is quite lovely. I might have to rig something up to see how it smells as it melts. And if I do, I will happily let you know how it goes.

Purchase Link

1 comments:

  1. everything looks so yummy wanna try this brand or a similar one

    ReplyDelete