Friday, July 4, 2014

By Unknown


Purchased

Happy Independence Day to our US readers! In the spirit of independence and the old red, white, and blue, I'll be reviewing a a blue-themed indie product today: Haus of Gloi's Oregon Blueberry lip balm.

I've heard great things about Haus of Gloi's bath and body offerings, but hadn't branched out beyond their perfume oils before my last order. One of the items I ended up getting from their Summer collection was the Oregon Blueberry lip balm (0.2 oz for $3.50) described simply as "ripe blueberries."

The lip balm is translucent, yellowish, and waxy, with the consistency looking visually much like a classic tube of Chapstick. It has a slightly fruity flavor (I have trouble separating this from the scent), a decent amount of shine when applied, and a very oily, emollient feel with a lot of slip. The packaging is a standard black plastic twist-up lip balm tube with matte paper labels printed with the product name and ingredients.

Like all Haus of Gloi products, it's vegan--the ingredients are: Virgin cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, candelilla (euphorbia cerifera) wax, punica granatum linn (pomegranate) oil, caprylic/capric/stearic glycerides, cymbidium grandiflorum (orchid) flower extract, flavor oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, tocopherol (vitamin E).

I like all the oils in the formula--although coconut oil can be comedogenic for many people, it's never caused a problem for me. (My favorite lip balm formulas, like Jack Black's balms, usually contain both petrolatum/mineral oil and lanolin, but lanolin is non-vegan, so I wouldn't expect to see it here!) Haus of Gloi bills the pomegranate oil as the star ingredient in their balm; the orchid extract is also an unusual and intriguing ingredient. (Orchid extract--probably not the same orchid or extraction method, though--is found as a signature ingredient in nauseatingly expensive Guerlain skincare.)

This balm keeps my lips moisturized for hours, but on the flipside, it does have a fairly greasy, oily, slippery feel--if you're a fan of more dry, elegant lip balms, or a balm that will sit firmly under lipstick, this might not be the balm for you.

I'm not actually a huge fan of the Oregon Blueberry scent. It's OK--nothing terrible, I'll certainly use the tube of lip balm, but the scent is not as realistic as I'd like. Something about it smells a little off to me, blunted and ever-so-slightly chemical. I got a tube of Mango Cream lip balm in my order as well, and I prefer the scent of that one, even though it's a lot sweeter and arguably more artificial-smelling than the Oregon Blueberry scent.

I do like the formula of the lip balm, so if I see another flavor that tempts me, I'd probably buy this again. So far, though, it's not holy grail material for me, so I'll continue my distractible flitting from balm to balm.

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments:

  1. sounds nice it would be lovely if it has a shade , even if it was sheer

    ReplyDelete