Tuesday, March 18, 2014

By Unknown
Fresh, clean and preppy with a feminine twist.

I have such a crush on this perfume. It know it sounds silly! It started out innocently enough - I was committing to my Most Impulsive Purchase ever from Lou Lou's Soaps and Scrubs and picking out which scents to add to my sampler pack. Cricket Baby was definitely not a first choice. In fact, I almost passed right over it. The description sounded peculiar enough:

Cricket Baby

Lou Lou's Soaps, Scrubs & Scents June 2013 Release
Some of the notes in Cricket are club soda, gin, tobacco, white peach, starfruit, mango, citrus, honeydew, vanilla sugar, whipped cream, peppermint, cashmere musk, white musk, oak wood, and oakmoss. Cricket Baby has the added feminine notes of mimosa flower and freesia with added fruit notes, white woods, bergamot, and greenery
Honeydew is one of my least favorite fruits, so I definitely almost turned up my nose. However, there's so much else going on that sounds intriguing. Whipped cream? Starfruit? Club soda? I added it to my samples and didn't give it much thought. When I received my samples I went through each one and kept forgetting about Cricket Baby until eventually it was the last one to try and dabbed a bit on before I went out shopping. I wasn't very successful at the shops, but I smelled fabulous and spent more time sneaking a little sniff off my wrists than I did browsing to buy things.

After that, I was smitten. I didn't want to wear Cricket Baby everyday out of fear that I'd get tired of it, but it was always sitting in my little scents box, mocking me and giving me a flirtatious look every time I reached for something else. "Are you sure you feel like smelling like grapefruit today? I mean, you're welcome to if that's what you really want..." I still can't help myself and sometimes dab a bit on a piece of fabric to keep in my purse. 

Cricket Baby might list a bunch of fruits and florals, but I wouldn't describe this as a fruity fragrance or a floral fragrance. It certainly isn't gourmand.  It has a fresh, nose-tickling sparkle complimented by a smoothness that's almost sweet but not quite. It's also excellently blended, and I really am not able to pick out one single ingredient. I'd describe it as almost a dry scent, but not in a hot "there's sandalwood in this blend" way. The only way Cricket Baby could get any better for me was if the club soda notes stuck around a little longer and if it was offered in other formats (maybe an eau de parfum so I could spritz it on midday for a pick-me-up or a solid scent).

Duration: 4/5
I wish the zip from the club soda stuck around a bit longer because that's my favorite part of Cricket Baby. You still get a pretty decent wear-time from it though! When applied at 6:30AM, I still can pick up the light dry-down by the time I get home around 4PM. Even the lightest, sweeter components of Cricket Baby are pretty robust and sometimes make it until lunch

Score: 5/5
In New England we have a company here that's really popular called L.L. Bean - they offer all kinds of clothes and whatnot that err on the preppy/outdoorsy side. A quick perusal through their magazine or website shows it's not just about their products, it's about a lifestyle they're selling to you. A romanticized, New Englandy lifestyle. I love "preppy", but I would not say I live a preppy lifestyle (I'm currently writing this while smushed up on my couch in a giraffe-print apron and old slippers while waiting for my lemon bars to finish in the oven). But you can bet I sure wish I did!  

Cricket Baby smells preppy to me. Not obnoxious "I'm better than you" preppy, but rather "I have my act together AND I'm one classy lady with a playful side" preppy. In all honesty, I'm not swanky enough to know what a good chunk of those notes described above are supposed to smell like (clearly I'm not preppy enough!) but I do know I like it an awful lot. It's a sharp, grown-up fragrance that smells classy, fresh and clean. 

Oh, and better yet?

This is a feminine take on Lou Lou's Soaps Scrubs & Scents's already existing Cricket blend that leans more masculine. So if you can't get enough and don't need the feminine touches, check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment