Saturday, March 1, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased


This week we're showcasing our favorite oranges, the next shade in our Colors of the Rainbow series.


Valentine's pick - Blooddrop's An Orange In Your Slipper

Blooddrop's "An Orange In Your Slipper" is a recurring holiday scent that has been back in their rotation at least a couple of times in the past. The website description reads: "Before the wide availability of delicious fruits year round, it was common to receive an orange in your slipper or stocking as a Christmas gift. This perfume oil commemorates those days and is a delightful blend of citrus! This year’s blend is a trio of Italian mandarin, red mandarin, Spanish king mandarin plus a generous squeeze of blood orange and pink grapefruit."

 I have a bottle from a previous year that may not have exactly the same mix of citrus fruits, but it smells delectable and very realistic--exactly like when you start peeling an orange and the smell of the peel comes wafting out. I don't find myself wearing this scent all that often for a couple of reasons: first of all, since citrus perfumes, being all top note, don't usually dry down very well, and in this case, the scent starts smelling a bit less fresh and crisp as it dries down; and secondly, because I learned about the horrors of citrus-induced phototoxicity, where you can wind up burned by the compounds in citrus juice or oils if they're on your skin when you go out into the sun. I've never had a problem with citrus perfumes myself, but it makes me nervous! However, I realized that both problems can be solved by wearing the scent in a scent locket or in my hair--this will both prolong the initial stages of the perfume and keep it from making direct skin contact--so, in honor of today's "Orange" post, I've dabbed the perfume into my hair so I can have a happy, citrussy perfume pick-me-up every time I turn my head.



AG's pick - Little Sparrow's Oh My Papaya 

Since the moment I first tried them, Little Sparrow's Lip Jelly lip and cheek products have been at the top of my favorites lists. I'm not much of an orange fan, but the Little Sparrow Lip Jelly in Oh My Papaya is making me change my mind! It's pigmented enough to be a beautiful bright lip color, but sheers out nicely for a natural cheek tint. Stay tuned for my upcoming posts about the Lip Jelly formula change and gorgeous new product launches!


Lisa's pick - Silk Naturals' Heat

Basic color theory dictates that colors opposite each other on the color wheel are complementary, so if you have blue eyes you probably want some sort of orange in your arsenal. Heat from Silk Naturals is described as "a deep coppery orange" and one of their "silky pearl" shadows, containing a bit more silica in them to give them a silky soft touch, great blending abilities, and a little bit of a soft-focus look. While I don't reach for it often (I'm a bit of a wimp - Heat's so much bolder than my plain-jane neutrals!) sometimes I'll sneak a little bit into the outer corner or crease if I want to make my eyes pop. And since it has a bit more silica, no one has to know how clumsy I am when I try to blend it out because it's so smooth! It was originally released as part of the Fall 2011 collection, so check it out to see its companion colors for optimum pairing!


Jeannie's pick - Femme Fatale Cosmetics' Sunkissed Wine

Even though my skin tone is a coolish neutral, I really love orange blushes. If I apply it with a light hand and blend it out really well, (I think) I can make it work. Sunkissed Wine is a 'mostly matte' blush, it applies matte, but has a hint of shimmer that's only noticeable in direct sunlight. This blush is not vegan, and it is eye safe but not lip safe. On Femme Fatale's website, it is described as a "warm coral toned soft red," I personally see more coral in this than red (when I think red blushes, I think of NARS' Exhibit A).


Kristin's pick - My Pretty Zombie's Brisket

Part of My Pretty Zombie's Butcher Shop Collection, Brisket is one of my absolute favorite MPZ shades. It's an orange gold with a really strong, vibrant highlight. The gold shines through in even the faintest light but when direct light shines on it, the shadow practically glows. This is one of my all-time favorite orange shades and I can't help thinking of a goldfish when I look at it.  

What are some of your favorite indie oranges? Let us know in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments:

  1. BFTE Old Time Taffy and Darling Girl's Pumpkin Head are awesome too (eyeshadows)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such cute names :) The swatches I found on Google look gorgeous!

      Delete