Saturday, March 15, 2014

By Unknown
OK, so you all know that the team here at Indie Know buys tons of indie beauty products, obviously. However, there are things we all buy from big, mainstream companies, too. I thought it would be interesting to ask: what do you buy indie and what do you buy mainstream, and why?

I'll weigh in first.

Stuff I mainly buy from indie companies:

  • Perfume--this is for two big reasons: cost and my personal tastes. The non-indie perfumes I've found that I love are few and far between, and tend to cost an arm and a leg. I can count the big bottles of non-indie perfume I own on one hand: Diptyque Philosykos, Hanae Mori Butterfly, Mistral Balinese Vanilla, Anthropologie Silk Road Caravan, and Anthropologie Cape of Good Hope. Oh, two hands, actually: I own a partial vintage bottle of Guerlain Shalimar EDT that I found at a garage sale. I tend to find mainstream perfumes headache-inducing, boring, or overly "perfumey"... that includes the Shalimar, actually, which I bought because it was cheap and classic, but I don't love it.
  • Powder eyeshadow--the shade range is insane, it's cheap as hell, why wouldn't you? I still do buy mainstream pressed shadows for convenience or when I like a particular shade or palette, but indies are my go-to for bright, sparkly, and unusual colors.
    • Kristin adds: I...buy a lot of these...
  • Soap--I love love love fancy bar soaps, and I use them up on a regular basis, so I don't feel guilty about stockpiling them. Sometimes I'll buy regular fancy bar soap from the local soap shop, but I generally prefer the amazing variety of scents and textures available from indie soap shops
  • Skincare (not counting sunscreen)--although I do pick up some things from the drugstore like Stridex pads, Alpha Hydrox AHA gel, and, most recently, Hada Labo serum, I refuse to pay Sephora prices for simple ingredients like maracuja oil or vitamin C serum, preferring to pick these things up from etailers like Garden of Wisdom or Lotioncrafter. The bang for your buck just seems to be way better.
  • Home fragrance--I haven't really talked about these on the blog yet, but I own a few atmosphere/linen sprays from BPAL and Blooddrop, and I like them for the same reason I like indie perfumes--they smell good to me, unlike Bath and Body Works Wallflowers or Febreze Fresh Step or whatever that stuff is called. Ugh, Aphrodite Kypria atmosphere spray is so damn good.
Stuff I mainly buy from mainstream companies:
  • Nail polish--there is no good reason for this, really, since there are tons of beautiful indie polish options; I think it's mainly because I enjoy polish as an instant gratification item, so I tend to pick it up on impulse at the drugstore rather than researching it and then buying online
  • Sunscreen--don't screw around with DIY sunscreen; this is a complicated process and the safety of your skin is at stake. The homemade stuff may not work at all to protect you from sunburns, skin cancer, and premature aging.
  • Pressed powder products--just because I don't see them offered all that often by indie companies, Fyrinnae being one exception. I prefer pressed products because they're easier to work with, so I wish more indie companies would offer them.
    • Kristin adds: There seems to be a slight trend with more indies offering pressed products and the fans are loving it. Shiro has recently been offering limited edition 4-pan pressed versions of their shadows and they sell out within hours of the announcement (sadly they've been sold out for awhile but if you'd like to take a look at what they looked like here's the Etsy posting of the latest offering).
  • Blush--I don't like working with loose blush (always seems to go on blotchy/overpigmented) and I don't have the supplies for pressing big pans of powder. 
    • Kristin adds: Fellow blogger, AG, and I are big indie blush lovers! Specifically, we love formulas from Darling Girl Cosmetics and Fyrinnae. I haven't personally tried them but I know that AG also really loves the Lip Jellies as cheek stains from Little Sparrow Cosmetics!
  • Primers--I haven't seen face primers offered by any indie companies, actually, except I think Fyrinnae makes a couple of powder primers. I don't use face primer all that much anyway. I have some eyeshadow primer from Detrivore, but haven't found it to work quite as well as Urban Decay Primer Potion to prevent creasing. I do love Pixie Epoxy. 
  • Liquid and cream products--there's not a huge range of liquid and cream products available in the indie world, particularly for liquid foundation. However, my fellow bloggers make me think I need to go indie next time I need some cream blush!
    • Kristin adds: This seems to be another increasing trend in the indie market! Aside from the aforementioned wonderful Darling Girl cream blushes, they also offer cream eyeshadow bases (their Watercolor Paint Pots) and I've seen pictures of a gel eyeliner that's to be released in the near future. I've also been hearing a lot lately about Pumpkin & Poppy who offer cream eyeshadows, eyeliners, blush, and contour products. Silk Naturals has recently introduced a cream foundation stick to add to their cream product lineup which previously just held cream eyeshadows and eyeliners. Things are definitely changing in the indie world!
Your turn. What do you buy indie versus mainstream, and why?

6 comments:

  1. I can't honestly say I feel any particular allegience to either. I like what I like and I don't much care if it's indie or commercial/mainstream. However, some of the things that come to mind:

    Foundation: I don't like powder foundations and cream ones from indie stores are few and far between, though I think Silk Naturals does one that I will probably try eventually.

    Concealer: As above. I have tried the Silk Naturals cream one before and it was nice but I just have a lot of mainstream ones to use so that's what I do.

    Lipstick/lip gloss/lip stain: Again, I've tried a few of the Silk Naturals ones and one or two other companies but I don't love them enough to go out of my way for them. I like the ease and range of buying from brands like NYX, Maybelline, Revlon, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instant gratification is definitely a huge draw for me! I love being able to decide on what I want and pick it up right away. Thanks for weighing in!

      Delete
  2. Mainstream: Primers, most skincare stuff (like cerave, aha pads, etc), sunscreen (love the aerosol type), eyeliner pencils, mascara

    Indie: Basically everything makeup-wise. I only started getting into makeup when I started getting into indie makeup, so I have Meow foundation, Shiro eyeshadow, indie perfumes, and I'm planning on getting some MPZ blush and the pumpkin and poppy contour powder at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mascara and eyeliner are tough ones to find in the indie world. I can't think of ANY company that makes them off the top of my head. Good call!

      I highly recommend the MPZ blushes and I've heard a ton of great things about the pumpkin and poppy contour products. Please let us know how they work for you and thanks for weighing in!

      Delete
  3. With the exception of sunscreen, I've been slowly transitioning everything I'm using over to indie! If you don't mind suggestions for some of the things you've had difficulty finding here are some off the top of my head

    Performance Colors - Pressed eyeshadows/blush, cream eyeshadows, eyeliners, eye primer
    Primers - DreamWorld Hermetica (face and eye), Femme Fatale (eye), de Leon (eye)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendations, Daisy! I've heard good things about the de Leon primer in particular, so maybe I'll try it one of these days!

      Delete