Saturday, March 22, 2014

By Unknown

This week we're showcasing our favorite indie yellows, the next shade in our Colors of the Rainbow series.


AG's pick - Shiro's Remake

Since I don't seem to have any yellow indie products whatsoever, this stunning gold from Shiro Cosmetics will have to stand in! Remake, from the Tributes collection, is easily one of my favorite eyeshadow shades. I'm partial to shades with sparkles in contrasting colors to the base shade, so Caitlin won my heart when she mixed purple sparks into a gorgeous gold. Add on the fact that Shiro does metallics beautifully and we have ourselves a winner!


Lisa's pick - Haus of Gloi's Honeysuckle Lemon Curd

There's something appealing about the scent of a fresh-cut lemon. There's even a study that claims lemon scents can subconsciously encourage people to be more charitable! But at the same time you don't want to smell like furniture polish or cleaning products! Haus of Gloi's Honeysuckle Lemon Curd perfume is described as, "Rich lemon curd with a touch of fresh honeysuckle." I've made lemon curd plenty of times, but to me this is a dead-ringer for a classic lemon lollipop! It starts off strongly hard-candy-lemon sweet, then halfway through the day it mellows out into something that seems a bit more of an herbal-ish floral (I suspect this is the honeysuckle). Oddly enough, after about 5-6 hours of wear the lemon's sweetness trickles back in for a hushed encore performance. This is a best-selling scent in Haus of Gloi's catalog, so if you haven't tried it yet you're missing out!

3 coats alone
Jeannie's pick - Happy Hands' Banana Stand 

I jumped on the "Arrested Development" band wagon after it was taken off the air and put on Netflix (oh how I miss Netflix now that I live in Australia!). When I saw that Happy Hands had created the "I've Made a Huge Mistake!" collection, I had to indulge in Banana Stand. I've been obsessed with bright yellow nail polishes ever since Chanel released Mimosa a few summers ago. Happy Hands is described as "a yummy yellow jelly creme with chocolate-brown glitter and of course, there's always green glitter in Banana Stand!" Unfortunately Happy Hands is closing :( but you can still find some Happy Hands polishes at Harlow & Co (Canada), Femme Fatale (Australia; where I purchased Banana Stand), Edgy Polish (Sweden), Dazzled (Hong Kong), and Mei Mei's Signatures (Singapore; they still carry Banana Stand).  


Kristin's pick - Shiro's Thunderbolt

It's hard to find a truly yellow eyeshadow; there are so many that come close but lean closer to being a gold than anything else. Shiro's Thunderbolt hits that perfect sweet spot. It's a bright and bold yellow but becomes slightly more muted with the addition of the red/brown shimmer. Not only does this give it a great portrayal of its name but it makes it much more wearable since it looks a little less scary than a straight yellow. I have an extra soft spot for this shadow. Pikachu was always my favorite sassy Pokemon (from the show) and my first Game Boy game ever was Pokemon Yellow. I can't help but reminisce a little every time I see this shadow. :)



Valentine's pick - Haunt's Lust lip balm in Honey
Disclosure: gift (from a friend)

My pick is Haunt's Lust lip balm in Honey. It's not yellow in color--it's clear--but the scent is described as "sweet amber honey." This balm has a melting, emollient texture with a slight initial grittiness reminiscent of cult classic Nuxe RĂªve de Miel--the grittiness melts away so that it feels like an oil on the lips. It is lightly sweet, quite glossy, and smells of beeswax-heavy honey, with the scent quickly becoming unnoticeable but the moisturizing qualities of the balm lingering on. This is my go-to lip balm for my purse--I like the slimline tube and it's an excellent, moisturizing, long-lasting balm. Unfortunately, Haunt is now only open a few times a year, so it may be hard to get your hands on their products; happily, they're open as of now, with some lip balms still in stock.

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment