Thursday, April 30, 2015

By Kristin


Despite being called the "Epically Epic Soap Co," I've actually heard a lot more about this company's lip balms than anything else. In fact, until recently, their shop was populated with just a couple soaps and with a huge variety of lip balms.

However, a couple weeks ago, Epically Epic released a huge collection of lip balms, solid scent balms, and solid soaps with the theme of Vamos pa' Cuba (loosely translated to "Let's go to Cuba" - I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong!).

The shop also recently moved away from having just an Etsy Shop to operating their own storefront. All products can be found on both sites with the exception of the roll-on perfumes that come in six different scents. It definitely seems like this shop is growing away from being just a lip balm storefront.

Packaging: 

At the time of my purchase, there were only a couple solid soaps available but I've been on a lemon kick lately so I grabbed the Lemon Poppyseed Cake soap bar as well as an assortment of lip balms and one of the Valentine's Day Lip Tints. 

The solid soap packaging was really nice. Not only was the soap itself plastic wrapped and labeled professionally but it was gift-wrapped on top of that in a cute, slightly transparent paper. 


The lip products came tucked in plastic baggies. The labeling on the tubes looks crisp and professional though from the facebook page it looks like the brand might be trying out some new labeling for their newer tubes.

Selection: 

Epically Epic tends to do collection-based releases and their collections are LARGE. When I placed my first order, my interest was perked by the 18 different ice cream "flavors" (scents, really) of lip balms that were being offered at the beginning of this year. Unfortunately, that particular set is no longer being offered but as I mentioned earlier, Epically Epic has just released their Vamos pa' Cuba collection which is 15 lip balm flavors, 12 solid scent balms, and 15 solid soaps. A few of these scents have also been translated over to an Argan Oil Hair Mist form along with some scents that seem to be part of a general catalog but aren't available in any other form.

There are also a few products being offered as part of a Mother's Day set (though it may be too late to order them in time for the day itself). There are three scents in this set and they can be purchased in lip tint/shimmer, solid scent balm, or argan oil hair mist form.

Samples: 

Epically Epic does not offer samples.

Quality: 

I've been really enjoying the lip balms. I originally purchased them with the intention of writing up a huge lip balm comparison post across brands but then realized that I didn't have much to say at all about specific lip balms in general.

I definitely went a little overboard here in adding to my lifetime collection of indie lip balms but I grabbed Chocolate Chip Cookies, Dreamsicle, Mint Chip, and Pistachio Ice Cream. They've all been nice and moisturizing, with accurately named scents. I got a bit of a weird plastic-y hint with Pistachio Ice Cream that didn't occur with any of the others so I wonder if one of the scents in this one is just weird to my nose.

Epically Epic looks to be good at keeping their ingredients listings specific to each individual product so anyone with allergies should be sure to take a look at the specific listings for each lip balm.


The bar soap is nice and lathers well. This particular bar has poppy seeds in it but I didn't find that they added or detracted at all from it being a soap. Maybe there's something about poppy seeds that I don't understand since I felt the same way about the Lemon Poppy Seed Soap from Naiad Soaps. The scent lingers in a tasty way.

Sadly, I was pretty disappointed by the last item in my order. It looks like Epically Epic soaps offers tinted lip balms for special occasions and I picked up Dark Chocolate Raspberry in the Valentine's Day set. It does smell tasty and as a lip balm, performs its function well, but as a lip tint? Nada.


After several swipes on my arm, I finally got a bit of a tint going for a swatch (please forgive the bit of bunny fluff stuck to the swatch) but on the lip? I couldn't tell I was wearing any kind of color at all. This might work better for someone with a very pale lip color who is looking for a slight tint to even out their lip color. Unfortunately, for me, this one is just going into my lip balm stash.

Cost:

Prices are consistent between the Etsy shop and the Epically Epic storefront. Lip balms and tints are $3.75, solid scent balms are $8.50, and solid soaps are $6.00. On the Epically Epic store, roll-on perfumes are $10.

Customer Service: 

No personal experience here but the owner seems pretty active on their Facebook page.

TAT: 

In their shop header, TAT is stated: All orders will be shipped within 3 weeks.

I received a shipping notice within 9 days of placing the order and it was in my hands 3 days after that.

Shipping: 

Very reasonable. Shipping for a single lip balm is $1.95 and additional lip balms are 5c added to the shipping cost. I assume this is on a by weight shipping model since solid soaps ship at $2.50.

Personal Thoughts:

Though I honestly have more lip balms than I'll ever use - and I found out recently that they actually expire!!! :( - I can see myself picking up more of them. Epically Epic Soap Co has a fun vibe to it and I think they do a great job with scents.

Oh also, if you place an order of over $30, you get a free, limited edition lip balm. I think it'd be really hard to make it to that $30 mark but I have faith in you guys. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments: