Friday, April 10, 2015

By Kristin

Activated charcoal seems to be a popular trend in both the indie and mainstream facial care industries. From the indie end, One Hand Washes The Other's Black Magic soap has a huge cult following and I've seen the now familiar black creams from the big brands at department stores as well.

The Clean Slate Emulsifying Facial Scrub is Paintbox Soapworks' version.

From the website:
Do it clean! Activated charcoal & a blend of tea tree, clary sage, peppermint, lime & lavender essential oils 
Prone to oily skin & breakouts? Tired of stripping your skin red & raw with harsh cleansers? Clean Slate is stuffed full of ingredients that will make your face happy! My nourishing, coconut-free Sorbetto formula gets all mixed up with activated charcoal & a green, herby blend of essential oils to gently but thoroughly clean even the oiliest of skin. A healthy drizzle of skin-friendly oils ensure that you aren't left feeling like you got scraped with a wire brush. I formulated Clean Slate mainly as a facial scrub, but it's mild enough to use on your whole body. 
Emulsifying Facial Scrub is a luxuriously soft, gentle sugar scrub, fortified with nourishing rice bran, grape seed, apricot kernel & jojoba oils. Massaged into wet skin, it emulsifies into a light, creamy lotion that gently cleanses, polishes & moisturizes, leaving you feeling deliciously soft & smelling wonderful :)
Ingredients: Sucrose (Sugar), Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Phenoxyethanol & Tetrasodium EDTA (paraben-free preservatives), Activated Charcoal, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Salvia sclarea (Clary Sage) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil


Now I'm a huge fan of the Paintbox Soapworks' Sorbetto Sugar Scrubs so I grabbed this one after my regular facial cleanser ran out.

Unfortunately, this one was a huge miss for me. It was way way way too harsh for my face and I probably would have known that beforehand if I'd bothered to check the ingredients list. The normal, for your full body, scrubs are sugar based which provides a nice level of exfoliation for less sensitive areas. Sadly, this facial scrub also uses sugar as the exfoliating agent - helpfully listed as the first ingredient on the list - and where it's great for dry, rough patches, feels like sandpaper on my face.


As for the rest of the formula, I found it to be a smooshier version of the regular Sorbetto formula. The product listing says:
I've adjusted this recipe from my usual Sorbetto formula, so you'll notice a much softer texture & more gentle cleansing.
And you can definitely tell that it's a little different. Looking over the ingredients list, a few of the oils have been swapped out and different ones added in, including jojoba, apricot, tea tree, clary sage, lime, lavender, and (maybe?) peppermint - not sure if the peppermint is an oil or not, it's just listed as peppermint. Jojoba, though great for moisturizing, is one of those ingredients that tends to break me out unless super refined. It's pretty low on the comedogenic scale, a 2 out of 5, so this shouldn't be a huge deal breaker for most people. As with all products though, be sure to patch test.

If I didn't love my regular Sorbettos, or if I had body acne (the tea tree oil is a good treatment for acne in general), I'd be probably more willing to use this one as a full body scrub but since neither of those are true for me, this one went quickly to my destash pile.

Purchase Link

Have any of you tried this one? What are some of your indie facial products?

0 comments:

Post a Comment