Friday, April 17, 2015

By Unknown

Top to bottom: Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red, Fyrinnae Lip Lustre in Dragon's Blood, Fyrinnae Liquid Matte Lipstick in Naughty & Nice
Purchased

As you may remember from our mega-post about them, I am a huge fan of Fyrinnae's Lip Lustres, and I also love good liquid matte lipsticks--my favorite formulas are Sephora's Cream Lip Stain and Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets, which are both intensely pigmented, long-wearing, non-transferring, and non-drying. So when Fyrinnae released a new Liquid Matte Lipstick, I had to pick up one of the colors to try it out!

These come in full-size 9 mL doefoot tubes only, for $12-$14.50 apiece, no sample sizes available, so I chose just one color, Naughty & Nice. Described on the website as "Metallic-matte, vibrant deep warm red with a coordinating red metallic finish," it's a deep warm red with a tonal red shimmer in it that reads slightly lighter and almost coppery.

The formula of this is very different from the Lip Lustres, even though the tubes appear identical. The lipstick is very liquid and runny, and VERY opaque. This can make application very challenging, in the same way that liquid liner is less forgiving than pencil or gel--mistakes or wobbly lines around lip edges are immediately obvious. It might benefit from either lipliner or application with a lip brush. I use my normal application MO with this product--apply a thin layer to lower lip, rub lips together, and then clean up around the edges of my lips with a bit of Kleenex--but my results with this technique are suboptimal compared to using normal lipsticks or Lip Lustres.

It smells pretty nasty, like chemicals, although this smell goes away quickly as it dries. Once it dries, it takes on a very flat true matte finish, although it has a rich, velvety sheen from the shimmer in the formula. Does that make sense? The surface is matte but the lipstick still reflects light due to the shimmer. I'm not usually a big fan of shimmer in my lip products, but I think it works fairly well in this product because of the interesting contrast with the matte finish. The shimmer is still not my favorite, as I feel like it looks a bit dated and emphasizes lip texture--perhaps I should have gotten Vixen instead, but I wanted to see what the "metallic matte" finish was all about.

Bare lips

Wearing Naughty & Nice Liquid Matte Lipstick

I find that it wears very well and very comfortably for hours. It sits on the lips like a film, a bit--I can definitely feel that I have it on--but it doesn't parch my lips like MUFE Aqua Rouge or the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams do after extended wear. It's pretty budgeproof once dry--I get a slight amount of transfer, but it does really dry down in a way that Lip Lustres do not (they act more like traditional lipsticks, staying creamy over the course of wear). However, it does wear off with food and drink, and this is quite noticeable because of its opacity--I imagine it would be even more obvious with the less natural colors like black or green or blue. After my lunch (sandwich, chips, coffee) I had an obvious ring along my inner lips where the lipstick had worn off and I needed to reapply.

I've swatched it alongside similar products here--from top to bottom, the Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red (cooler, brighter, lighter, no shimmer), Fyrinnae Lip Lustre in Dragon's Blood (darker, cooler, glossier, no shimmer), and Naughty & Nice, in all its warm-toned metallic-matte glory.
Top to bottom: Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red, Fyrinnae Lip Lustre in Dragon's Blood, Fyrinnae Liquid Matte Lipstick in Naughty & Nice
It's difficult to remove by just rubbing at it. You may need to break out some oil or makeup remover to get it all off. I don't notice much staining--the Sephora Cream Lip Stain was the only color to leave a visible stain after removing my swatches.

I don't have any very close dupes for this shade--Fyrinnae Dragon's Blood probably comes the closest, actually, but it's satin-finish, darker, cooler, and shimmer-free, and as mentioned, it's more like a traditional lipstick in consistency than a traditional-style longwear liquid lipstick, so it's not really all that close.

This is a great product, although it's not quite in my top tier of favorites. For liquid lipsticks, as mentioned above, I prefer my Sephora and Bourjois products by a narrow margin because they are more creamy than wet, and hence more forgiving during application; I also prefer the color selection in the more mainstream lipsticks and Fyrinnae's own Lip Lustres (what can I say? I'm just not really a blue lipstick gal). If Fyrinnae came out with some more day-to-day wearable but still interesting colors, I might pick up another shade (though I'm currently already tempted by the cool deep red Vixen and the brilliant orange Ablaze).

0 comments:

Post a Comment