Saturday, September 6, 2014

By Unknown
OHWTO Berry Amber Perfume Review
OHWTO's Berry Amber has been discontinued...for now.

I have this tumultuous relationship with "limited" products. Whenever I hear "limited edition" or "limited time only" or worst of all, "limited quantity"... just writing that makes me itch to grab my wallet. It's ingenious really - knowing you might not have a shot at owning something.

Usually I'm pretty good about managing the impulse, but once in a while I do cave - don't we all? This past November OHWTO had a bunch of flash sales throughout Thanksgiving day and I happened to catch a 40% off coupon, so naturally some impulse played a part.

Berry Amber
Full size: 5mL amber glass bottle for $10.00 USD
Back for a limited time, and only in a limited amount, here's your chance to get the very last bit of the discontinued Berry Amber perfume, in oil format! (this one *might* be able to make a return to my regular lineup, but for now, this is what I have available)

Wild strawberries, sun-warmed cherries, white amber, and vine-ripened grapes. It's delightfully tart and sweet, but once the amber appears it takes the edge off the fruitiness. Sultry/Fruity/Feminine"
Okay, so that might not be quite as absolute as "GONE FOREVER AND EVER," but it sounds so lovely...how could I resist?

A cold sniff from the vial left me wrinkling my nose and wondering if I shouldn't have let my impulses guide me. Grape-flavored cough syrup, yuck! But there is definitely a faint whisper of snuggly-warm amber which is reassuring.

The description of Berry Amber conjures a quaint image of fresh-picked berries lazing about in a charming wicker basket on a wooden porch (viewed through the lense of some vintage instagram filter, of course). Fast-forward a little bit, after your harvest has been washed clean and cooked down into a sticky, syrupy concoction and jarred up as preserves (don't forget the amber!) then you have the essence of Berry Amber. I don't think the fruit notes smell "sun kissed" or fresh, but rather cooked down and syrupy-sweet, while still grounded with warm amber.

Duration: Berry Amber really comes into its own after an hour of wear. Once it has settled on the skin, it becomes soft and sweet, but not syrupy anymore. It is a little clingy, but I also don't apply very much either. The drydown seems more sophisticated compared to its opening notes, and any tartness evaporates early on. If I apply a bit before bed, I can still faintly pick it up on my pajama cuffs come morning. 

Score: 3.5/5
Berry Amber's description claims it to be a sultry/fruity/feminine blend. Fruity, yes. Feminine? I certainly can't see my boyfriend trying this on himself. But sultry? I feel this is more of a snuggly, cozy fragrance. When I first started drinking tea, I gravitated towards fruity blends (which in essence are more like hot fruit juice drinks than tea) - Berry Amber reminds me of a fruit tea I used to drink in the winters while buried under my roommate's microfiber blanket that smelled like her favorite golden amber incense sticks. 

This isn't what I'd wear on a hot date - I dab a little bit on my wrists at night before bed to help myself slip off to sleep. I don't think that makes Berry Amber a bad scent at all, but in retrospect I'm not sure I'd have gotten a full-size after all.

1 comments:

  1. I try to avoid limited edition as far as can, cause I am afraid If I like the product very much I wont be able to find it again.. But yeah sometimes it looks so good and so pretyy that you are tempted to try it.

    ReplyDelete