Saturday, September 20, 2014

By Kristin

Hello, readers! We thought we'd introduce a series called The Edit, where we curate product picks around some central theme like a character or series. This week, AG and I have picked out some scents for Jareth, the crystal ball-fondling, baby-stealing, confusingly sexy king of the goblins from the 1986 Jim Henson fantasy classic Labyrinth, played by David Bowie. If you haven't seen it, you should. And I will say no more about it, aside from leaving this and this for further reading/activities.

AG's pick: When I think of Jareth, I think of his costume: steely grayscale with beautifully structured leather tops to reflect his cold but entrancing personality. I think he would love The Englishman from Paintbox Soapworks. The official description begins "A wickedly proper gentleman's blend of glossy black leather, Earl Grey tea & peaty tobacco. Emphasis on wicked..." To me this blend smells almost entirely of leather, but even though I can't pick out the tea and tobacco, they add richness to the scent to make it more interesting than a pure leather note. When I first tried this decadent glycerin soap (in the form of a generously sized sample bar, as you see here), the scent lingered softly on my skin and quietly enchanted me for hours after my shower. I think Jareth would be quite pleased with a product that crept into the minds of the people around him - it would only add to his stone cold allure.

Valentine's picks:
Well, there is an offically licensed Jareth perfume, so this is what he officially smells like, according to the fine folks at the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab:

"Ethereal lilac fougere and gleaming leather with ti leaf, tonka absolute, white musk, and oudh."

This smells to me very much like BPAL's classic scent Dorian, but less sweet and lemony, and a bit more smoky and grownup. Lots of creamy vanilla-ish musk and an almost sweet-and-sour cologne and leather aspect. A little perfumey, a little androgynous. I think it would layer wonderfully over skin freshly washed with The Englishman.

And of course, there is the unofficial and now-departed Shiro Color of the Month Jareth's Tight Pants, jar shown above. A soft, matte dove gray like those tight pants, with lots of white sparkles strewn throughout as though you were dancing in a snowglobe.

Last but not least, I think he'd need a powerful, dramatic contour like the Life's Entropy Neutrino Contour Stick that we swatched here.

Let us know if you have any ideas or requests for future installments of The Edit!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments: