Saturday, August 9, 2014

By AG


Hey everyone! Last month I showed you all of the Detrivore Cosmetics blushes which were available at the time, and I really didn't have enough good things to say about them. Imagine my delight when Distorria created three more shades to launch this month! I love the formula and the new colors looked great, so I went straight for full sizes of all three shades.


A quick note before I show you the swatches: Detrivore's full size blushes come in 10 gram jars, which is on the smaller end of the spectrum - compare to Shiro's 20 gram blush jars. They're the same size as Femme Fatale's blush jars, if that helps anyone. It's still more blush than I'll ever use in my lifetime for a very reasonable price, but it's worth noting so no one is surprised. Here's a photo for reference:

Left to right: Shiro blush jar, Detrivore blush jar, Shiro eyeshadow jar

Let's do the swatch thing!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Not Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Deep reddened peach with the slightest hint of violet shift.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, titanium dioxide, carmine.

Personal Comments: Pale folks, meet your new favorite fall blush! Somehow I got it in my head that this was going to be coral, so imagine my surprise when I put it on and my cheeks were suddenly the most gorgeous burnt orange, reminiscent of leaves changing color in September. After I put this on, I immediately ran to grab an autumnal red lip color (to me, that's a deep, warm-toned red with some brown) and they paired perfectly together. This is fall in a jar for sure. I also want to mention that, with a light application, it actually makes for an excellent "I got some sun" shade on my warm-toned skin, and without wandering into sunburn territory the way red blushes do on me. 

This is one of the more intense blushes Detrivore makes, so it's probably one of the few I'd recommend for folks with darker skin tones. As for the violet shift, I see a bit more sheen in this shade than the other Detrivore shades, but not much in the way of a color change.

Swatches done over bare skin. Photos taken in partial to full sunlight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Lip & Eye Safe

Matte greyed lavender.

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, tin oxide.

Personal Comments: This is an oddball, and I'm having trouble deciding how I feel about it. The formula is as lovely as I've come to expect, but the color is a little tough to pull off, even given my recent enthusiasm for purple blush. On my pale, warm-toned skin (MAC ~NC15, Meow Sleek Korat) I find there's a very fine line between "My blush is invisible" and "Oh no my cheeks are bruised" when building up this shade. It's also got enough gray in it that it simply didn't look flattering on my cheekbones - it seemed to absorb light rather than making my cheekbones stand out. However, those are some characteristics of a potentially great contour powder, so I tried blending it lightly under my cheekbones with an eyeshadow blending brush for a subtle contour. I don't think it's the best contouring product on the indie market - it's purple enough to look a little strange no matter where you put it - but by gosh it'll do in a pinch. I also want to mention I found this shade to be verrrry powdery, which means it kicked up a lot of "blush dust" when I was tapping it into the jar lid for application.

Bottom line: Unless you're looking to dabble in special effects injury makeup, I'd give this one a miss.

Swatches done over bare skin. Photos taken in partial to full sunlight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Vegan, Eye Safe, Not Lip Safe

Delicate peachy-pink with a satin finish.

Ingredients: serecite mica, magnesium myristrate, carnauba wax, red #40, iron oxide, ferric ferrocyanide.

Personal Comments: Detrivore's description of peachy-pink is spot on! This is my favorite of the three new shades, and I think it's the most natural-looking shade for pale people in Detrivore's current blush range. The site description says it's got a satin finish, but I didn't think it looked too different on the cheeks than the matte formula - they both blend seamlessly into the skin in both texture and finish. If you want to try out Detrivore's beautiful blush formula but you're not quite adventurous enough to go full-on Bluebeard, give this one a try.

Swatches done over bare skin. Photos taken in partial to full sunlight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hooray for new Detrivore blushes! I think Distorria is having fun playing with her blush formula, so I'm excited to see what she comes out with next. Stay tuned for my swatches and review of her new eyeshadow collection in a couple days!

Have you tried Detrivore's blushes? Do any of the new shades appeal to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

5 comments:

  1. woow I love the lavender greyish blush so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toss it this side of the world :) I would love have it lol :)

      Delete
    2. a small swap maybe? let me know

      Delete
    3. Thanks for offering to swap with me! I'm going to hang onto it and keep experimenting with it, but if I decide to send it to a new hope, perhaps it will show up in a blog sale :)

      Delete
    4. heheh ok cool , Even a blog sale for me is not that convenient, cause sometimes shipping is more expensive that the item self
      regretfully . Keep experimenting let us know

      Delete