Friday, August 22, 2014

By Unknown
Makeup remover with a bit of sass from Silk Naturals.

I was so proud of my mascara today. Granted it wasn't indie (cheap Almay mascara from an overstock store), but it really worked overtime. I was in a minor car accident and cried way more than I ought to, yet somehow it still managed to stay put. But this isn't a review about my cheap mascara, this is about realizing later that I still needed to remove said mascara even after crying the rest of my face off.

Take it Off Makeup Remover
Full size: 4oz bottle with for $5.99 USD
Sample: 5mL dropper bottle for $.99 USD
Take It Off is a quick, and easy rinseless makeup remover.  It removes pretty much everything we make, and leaves your skin dewy, and hydrated.  It's also wonderful for quick little touchups if you "oops" when you're applying your makeup.

It doesn't work wonderfully on waterproof makeup- mascara, eyeliners and things like that.  For those products we recommend the Apricot Cleansing Oil.
It's not like the Take it Off makeup remover from Silk Naturals was some exciting new purchase I've only just started testing out. In fact, I picked it up back when it was released as part of the new 2014 spring products launch and use it to remove my eye makeup (including an extremely water-soluble mascara that Silk Naturals also offers). It got the job done and did exactly as I expected it to, so it really wasn't ever something that stood out in my mind as being exceptional.  

However, tonight I was really disgusted with myself as I somehow managed to sob off all my mineral eyeshadow while my mascara was cemented to my lashes. This makeup remover was so gentle and swiped it off like nothing - I was extremely impressed! I have newfound respect for this little powerhouse! Plus, how can you not love the cheeky name and label art? I like to imagine it's a companion piece to The Balm's Meet Matt(e) Nude palette.

Ingredients:

  • Distilled Water
  • Organic Aloe Vera Juice
  • Propanediol (natural non-GMO corn based hydration ingredient)
  • PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate
  • Calendula Extract (exercise slight caution if you have seasonal allergies)
  • Gluconolactone
  • Sodium Benzoate. 
I'm not going to gross you out with a before and after of my puffy eyes, but here's an unattractive before and after featuring the same mascara before and after a swipe of Take it Off from a q-tip. You can see that while it does streak a tiny bit, it removes a lot even in one go!

The consistency is exactly like water. This is not a gel or a cream, so you're best off dampening a q-tip or cotton ball. Sometimes I take the lazy way out and hold the bottle over my face and squeeze out a few drops directly onto my eyelids (I do not recommend this). A little goes a long way, and once you've worked the remover all over your makeup, it rinses away like nothing. Best of all, it's not packed with alcohol, so it's not drying on my skin!

I was surprised that while my bottle lists calendula extract, the ingredients list on the website does not. Some debate that skincare products that use calendula can give people with seasonal allergies funny reactions. My eyes get extremely itchy when I've used products in the past with calendula oil, but the extract in this makeup remover does not seem to bother me at all. However, better to be safe than sorry - you can still try a sample bottle!

I definitely recommend checking this makeup remover out. It's not as travel-friendly as some other options out there, plus the liquidy consistency can make it a challenge to work with. But the price is right, and it gets the job done!

0 comments:

Post a Comment