Saturday, August 30, 2014

By Unknown

This week we'd like to bring you a spin-off from our Colors of the Rainbow series, our favorite duochromes! Last week we had the opportunity to do a guest post on Luna's fabulous blog, Toxid Lotus, where we showed our favorite indie matte products.


Lisa's pick - Backstreets Makeup Co.'s Lugh's Chain

I don't own a lot of duochrome shadows, but I keep coming back to one of my earliest indies: Lugh's Chain from Backstreets Makeup Co. This shadow is a bit high maintenance in that you really should be applying it atop a sticky base and get the best results from patting it on, but it's so worth it! Lugh's Chain is ever-morphing between a twinkly deep brown to a shimmering emerald-black and a few flashes of fuchsia in between. My preferred use is to pair it up with Darling Girl's Superstar Serum and turn it into a glitzy liner if I'm feeling sassy.

3 coats, no top coat. Top left image photographed indoors in indirect sunlight, remaining three photographed in direct sunlight outdoors.
Jeannie's pick - CrowsToes' Tequila Sunrise

When I first saw swatches of CrowsToes' Tequila Sunrise, I was stunned by how pretty the shade was. Described as a "hot pink shimmer polish with color-shifting shimmer that goes from pink to green to gold," the pink base makes it subtle enough for everyday but provides an additional interest with the flashes of greenish gold. I purchased Tequila Sunrise from Femme Fatale, but it is also available at Llarowe (USA).


Kristin's pick - Scaredy Cat Cosmetics' Niflheim

Scaredy Cat Cosmetics is on the smaller end of the indie scale but I was blown away by the color shift in this eyeshadow. Niflheim looks like a pale, almost creamy grey on first glance but when applied over a black base, turns into a blue-based steel.


Valentine's pick - I Love Nail Polish's Cygnus Loop

I'm still crazy about the multichromes from I Love Nail Polish. ILNP Cygnus Loop is shiny, morphing rainbow perfection. I have quite a few duochrome polishes, but I don't think I have anything else with quite this level of duochrome/multichrome flash. I get so many compliments on my nails from random people when I wear this color out--multiple people have told me it looks like scarab beetle wings.


AG's pick - Shiro's Smelt of Elderberries

The indie world is probably best known for its duochrome eyeshadows, but brands are putting out gorgeous and unusual finishes in lip and cheek products as well. One of my favorites this summer has been Shiro's gloss in Smelt of Elderberries. Appropriately enough, this fuchsia gloss with a violet flash is exclusive to Australian duochrome master Femme Fatale Cosmetics. The duochrome effect is fairly subtle - I'll catch a glimpse as I'm turning my head in the mirror but otherwise the base color dominates. It's softly scented of sweet berries, but the fragrance fades quickly once it's on the lips. Best of all, Shiro's gloss formula is the best I've tried. If you're making an order from Femme Fatale, make sure to check it out!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment