Tuesday, August 12, 2014

By Unknown




Blooddrop currently has a limited edition collection of perfumes called the "Together ~ Women & Horses Photography Series," inspired by vintage photos of women with horses, in various contexts--horse shows, rodeos, just riding in the park. I'm not really a horse person, but I think the premise is charming, and I love the old photos that inspired the scents. The perfume I'm reviewing today, Flagstaff Fillies I, came as a free sample along with some decants I had ordered from a decant circle.

Price: $15 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil with polyseal cap.
Samples: Not available for this scent.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Blooddrop.)
Description from the website: "This image and the one below it are a pair of post cards. I remember coming across this style of post card when I was a kid, spending my summers in Arizona with my dad. I can imagine these two women, perhaps sisters, being a team that would do tricks and equestrian acrobatics traveling to fairs and horse shows!

Bubblegum, raspberry sun tea, macintosh apples, bright lemon zest."

I'm not a huge fan of bubblegum perfumes, but I thought I'd check this out since it crossed my path and I liked the idea behind the series.

Straight out of the vial, it smells like green apple gum! It reminds me really strongly of a roll of green apple-flavored bubble tape someone gave me recently--that slightly sour, artificial, mouth-wateringly juicy smell.

As it dries, it smells less like green apple gum and more like straight pink bubble gum. I find this surprisingly wearable. It's still definitely a fruity, playful, candy scent, but there's something about it that smells a little more layered and musky than straight bubble gum. (And what is the smell of bubble gum? Here's an interesting discussion about it.)

Along with the overpowering bubble gum note, I smell apples, ripe to being on the verge of mealiness; a hint of bright lemon; the slight bitterness of a tea note that may be giving it the slight musky complexity that makes this scent more wearable for me than other bubble gum scents I've tried, like BPAL's Jailbait.

While this isn't really my preferred style of perfume, I think it's actually quite nicely done and I would recommend it if you're looking for a bubble gum or candy-type scent. Cheerful, fruity, sweet, peppy!

For more reviews of this perfume, check out More Tea, Wesley or this page (which seems like the content may have been scraped from another blog, but I can't find the original source--if you have the proper link, let me know and I'll update this.)

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment