Sunday, August 10, 2014

By Unknown
Purchased


Hello and welcome to this month's edition of Jessye Gets Bubbly! Today our seasoned bath product veteran ventures into the Etsy soap world and takes a look at Luna Soaps.

Take it away, Jessye!

Mojito Spirit Bath Bomb


When you first open the package, a wave of fruity aromas waft over you. Citrusy and just a little sweet, this was fantastic to unwrap on a rainy day. Unlike most bath bombs, this one sank straight to the bottom of the tub and stayed there, shooting fizz all the way to the water’s surface, like the bubbles of soda water bubbling its way through the straw of your mojito.  The water turned a fresh mint color and the smell was glorious, wafting but not overpowering. Enveloped in ideas of long summer nights and cool frosty drinks, this bath bomb was a delight to enjoy- the only thing missing was my own personal mojito to enjoy along with it.

Kristin adds: Luna Soaps offers bath bombs in 11 different scents (as of this writing). I tried a couple in "lemon cake" and "succulent aloe." I really loved the way the bath bombs performed though I personally prefer a little more bubble and less fizz in my baths. The oils in the bomb were soothing and my skin felt great after taking a bath but there was a lingering smell on my skin. It was a little weird and at first I thought it was specific to just one of the scents but both the lemon cake and the aloe bombs had the same after-scent. It wasn't unpleasant, just lingering and odd.

Purchase Link

Shower Fizzy Sinus Aromatherapy



I’m so glad I had five of these to test out with.  I used the first three in the shower – one per person living in my house- and we were all a little disappointed. The smell was very faint, and hard to smell.  It definitely wasn't clearing out our sinuses, and they were gone very quickly. So I decided to try out a couple options on the last two. The first one I put in a bath – the water to disc ratio was probably off, but it did give the bath a very nice faint peppermint smell that was very nice to relax in. It probably would have been better with two in there.

But I did find a fantastic use for the last one.  During dry months, I make my own humidifier, a simple stock pot on the stove and usually a couple of wonderful smelling tea bags thrown in to allow the smell to make the whole apartment smell nice.  So I threw my last fizzy into it.  There were so much fizz, so if you do this, be careful to not overfill the pot. I’m not sure cleaning that off the stove would be fun.  And then I walked away to the back bedroom.  When I hit the hallway, I could smell clean fresh peppermint coming at me.  It wasn't at all overpowering, but exactly what I like when putting water back into the air.  It was a delicious smell and the perfect amount of peppermint to make the apartment smell just lovely.  I will probably buy more of these in the fall when I am humidifying our apartment 2-3 times a week. It will be a delicious addition to my teas.

Soap Samples

These have to come with a disclaimer. The wrappers that they came in picked up the smells of everything else in the box, including 2 more bath bombs for the amazing Kristin and 4 more soap samples, so they SMELLED. It was horrendous. So, being the dumb butt that I am, I stuck them, still in wrapper, in my linen closet for a couple of months to “air out,” as opposed to unwrapping them and letting them actually air out for about a week. Mea culpa. So by them time, I unwrapped them and let them air out for a couple of days, many of them had lost their fresh cut smell. However the Spiced Apple Oats & Honey did not.

That being said, let’s talk usability. Holy Lather, Batman! I tend to get distracted when I wash my hands and end up rubbing that bit of soap around in my hands until you could make a bubble bath off the amount of soap I just rubbed into my hands. This was not the case this time. All that lather happened in seconds. Foamy bubbly, soft and velvety. It was fantastic.

The smells were interesting. Spiced Apple Oats & Honey smells like everything wonderful about Fall - dry and when it's lathering into your hands, smells exactly like mulled cider. It's a warm, spicy full-body scent that you almost want to eat. This soap was slightly more abrasive when lathering due to the oats and did not lather up quite a foamy as the other three.

Champagne & Pear came out on my hands smelling like fresh pear and tree leaf. It was a clean, fruity scent that was soft and light.

Mint 2B Wild was a wild card for me. When I originally smelled it when I received it, it smelled very minty. When I smelled it after I unpackaged it, the smell was muddled and hard to find. When I put it on my hands, Wowza! This is going to be hard to explain. If you have ever been to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, you will follow along with me very well. If not, I’m going to do my best. This is a yearly Fall festival that is in a very wooded area. There are a lot of smoky smells from vendors, gun exhibitions and all sorts of things. But we're putting those aside. Every time I smell this soap on my hands, I think of this festival. It is like sitting in a forest after a fresh rain. It's not woody. It's not overly minty. It's the way mint smells unplucked. It’s soft and rounded and fresh leaves covered in rain. I wish I could explain this better because it was nostalgic and beautiful and surprising.

I am uncertain about Energy. There was not much smell anytime I smelled it. Before it was wet, I could detect faint traces of citrus through, and after it was on my hands, there was a faint sweet smell that I enjoyed but couldn’t place.

Overall Thoughts

It was an exciting venture. You never know what you’re going to get when you try a new place, and this was actually the first indie company I tried. The smells are fainter than I usually like. And I was largely disappointed in the shower fizzies because I just couldn't smell them. But some of those soaps were new and different and unique, and I won’t forget being reminded of such sweet memories. I always believe something new is worth a try, but if you like overpowering smells in your bath, I would venture away, or double up your bath bombs.

A Small Side Note

This year, Lush Cosmetics has teamed up with Discovery Channel and United Conservationists for Shark Week! They are selling Limited Edition Shark Fin Soap. All of the money from the purchase of the soap goes directly to United Conservationists, in efforts to make shark finning illegal. So check it out! And go help save the world!

1 comments: