Saturday, June 14, 2014

By AG

Hi everyone! Today I have a long overdue swatch and review of some of the blushes from Little Sparrow Cosmetics. Jessica kindly provided me a blogger discount for these items. Little Sparrow released these months ago and has since released at least one other collection, so I'm a little behind! I nabbed a big chunk of this release as soon as it came out, because I've loved almost every single thing I've gotten from this brand (check out all our Little Sparrow posts for more raves!). Though my indie wishlist is long, I will definitely be picking up the rest of the Little Sparrow line as soon as my budget allows, and I'm drooling over some of the sneak peeks we're seeing on the brand's Facebook page.


Today I have three blushes to show you: Orchid, Lilac, and Lavender. I believe the sticker labels on these blushes have changed, so check the Etsy shop for more current packaging photos. I also want to note that the shop is closed for another week or two while Jessica preps exciting new products, so I'll update this post with the official descriptions, ingredients lists, and purchase links when it's back up and running.


Just a quick note about the formula - it's marvelous! All of these blended out quickly and very easily with a small fluffy brush. I do want to mention that Lilac and Lavender kicked up some powder as I was blending them, which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but was noticeable enough to be worth mentioning. I can't imagine it will be especially noteworthy when using these on the face, because it takes a lot more blush to swatch than to apply to the cheeks! I also want to mention that the rotating sifter tops are really handy and will make me feel very secure about traveling with these.

Let's look at these awesome blushes! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Orchid is a pink, almost fuchsia tinted blush.

Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Pigment Violet, Magnesium Myristate, Kaolin Clay, Red 7 Lake, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Carnauba Wax

Personal comments: Orchid is a lovely color that I think would suit a range of skin tones. I'm having a tough time finding the right words to describe the color, but it's on the warmer side and midway between medium-toned pink and purple as best I can tell. It's fully matte to my eyes. The swatch is (at least on my screen) very true to what I see on my arm, so if you have a better description, please tell me in the comments! It appears brighter in the jar than it does on the skin, and it blends out to a natural but fun color. I absolutely adore Little Sparrow for carrying unusual blush colors, but if blue and purple cheeks intimidate you, this would be an excellent pick for a more approachable shade. Swatch photo taken outside on a partly cloudy day. Swatches done over bare skin.

Purchase link (tentative while the shop is under construction)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Lilac appears to be warmer than Lavender while it's in the jar, but most people find that Lilac is far more suitable to cool skin tones. It buffs out into a purple with blue undertones.

Ingredients: Mica, Pigment Violet, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Myristate, Kaolin Clay, Carnauba Wax

Personal comments: Lilac is a lovely matte light-to-medium purple, and I believe it's more or less neutral toned. I believe this one has a white base, so I'd recommend using a light hand to avoid it looking chalky. For the same reason, it's probably going to be best for lighter skin tones. I also want to mention it I think this could be a good option for anyone who wants to dip their toes into the current purple blush trend without going full-on PURPLE. It's got enough warmth to look like a "normal" blush shade while still being lovely and unusual. As a side note, Little Sparrow's Lip Jelly in Plum Brandy (reviewed here) is another good beginner's purple! Swatch photo taken inside in diffused natural light. Swatches done over bare skin.

Purchase link (tentative while the shop is under construction)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Lavender buffs into a very warm purple. It looks cooler than Lilac in the jar, but most people find this is more suitable to warm tones.

Ingredients: Mica, Ultramarines, Magnesium Myristate, Titanium Dioxide, Kaolin Clay, Red 7 Lake, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Carnauba Wax

Personal comments: Lavender is a matte cool-toned purple pastel blush, which is pretty unusual! This one definitely has a white base, so those who like a heavy blush application or have darker skin tones might benefit from trying a sample before investing in a full size. I haven't tried this one in a look yet, but I suspect it could make a really interesting highlight shade to pair with a darker purple blush. I'll be sure to report back if I find good ways to incorporate this into a look! Swatch photo taken inside in diffused natural light. Swatches done over bare skin.

Purchase link (tentative while the shop is under construction)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried Little Sparrow blushes? What did you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment