Tuesday, June 17, 2014

By Unknown



Blooddrop created a series of perfumes several years back (in 2009, I think?) that were inspired by individual songs on The Cure's 1989 album Disintegration. These were rereleased earlier this year, with the gaps filled in so that each song on the album had its own scent. I love synaesthetic pairings like this (since I don't have synaesthesia myself--if I did, I'm sure the apparent mislabelings would be maddening!) so I purchased a bottle of the scent that seemed the most appealing, For Untitled, with notes of vanilla, cocoa, myrrh, and anise, and sat down with it to soak in melancholia and write up a review with a raven-feather quill.

Price: It was $15 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil. Unfortunately, I narrowly missed the window where this was still on the site--looks like it was taken down after I drafted up my review! If you're interested, I would suggest emailing Astrid to ask if there are any leftovers. I've seen older or discontinued scents pop up before in the Etsy shop or Surprisey Mystery perfume section.
Samples: Not available for limited edition scents such as this one.
Shipping: More details on shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Blooddrop.
Description from the website: "Longingly, wistfully, tormented, la fin. Flaxen vanilla musk, gold musk, Tahitian vanilla, Egyptian myrrh, cocoa absolute ever so slightly tarnished with anise."

My thoughts:
This goes onto the skin with a strong, buttery French vanilla frosting or ice cream note that almost immediately dissipates into a tropical, pina-colada, fruity-smelling vanilla. I assume this pineapple-like aroma is due to the use of Tahitian vanilla, which is rarer and more expensive than Mexican or Madagascar vanilla, and frequently described as having more of a fruity-floral, cherry-like, licorice-tinged flavor, with lower levels of vanillin.

For Untitled reminds me, quite honestly, of places where Robert Smith would not feel at home at all: sundrenched beaches, tiki bars, tropical jungles full of lush greenery. I don't mind that at all, and it's certainly not as overtly tropical-fruity and feminine as a scent like Arcana's Bloom, so don't be scared off if you're not into sunshine or drinks with tiny umbrellas. It reminds me most of a Black Phoenix Alchemy Christmas scent from a few years back called The First of the Three Spirits, which was supposed to smell like amber, vanilla, and flowers, but always smelled quite pineapple-like to me.

The scent gradually mellows and deepens to a more woodsy, dry vanilla, less sweet, and tinted instead with the resinous myrrh and herbal-licorice note of the anise, with a fluffy and somewhat powdery texture from the musk notes. It has a faint bitterness that I feel at the back of my throat if I inhale deeply. I never really smell the cocoa absolute note at all, unless it's contributing to the slightly powdery impression; the two most prominent notes end up being the anise and the vanilla.

It eventually dries to a soft, clean, lightly musky vanilla-anise scent that retains a hint of the fruity pineapple without smelling like a tropical drink anymore. It lingers close to the skin, and the final impression is dry enough to be unisex. I could see this being a signature scent for someone, the type of thing you wear every day--it's distinctive enough to be interesting rather than excessively boring or clean, but it's also not a huge, sexy night-out statement perfume.

This scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment