Thursday, June 19, 2014

By Unknown
Add caption
Today we're showing you our thoughts on My Beauty Addiction! I've been wanting to try out My Beauty Addiction's Lip Paints for awhile now after seeing swatches of their incredible colour range (those of you on the hunt for blue, green, and similar lipsticks, check them out!).

Packaging: 

My order was packed in a bubble-wrap padded envelope, and the items inside were grouped together in smaller bundles with extra bubble-wrap padding. I ordered several sample bundles, which were grouped together by product in sealed plastic bags.

Selection: 

My Beauty Addiction has an absolutely massive catalogue, and I'm sure any beauty addict will be able to find something they'll like! There are a variety of lip products, eye products, glitters, mineral foundations, blushes and bronzers, primers and finishing powders, brushes, false eyelashes, cosmetic paints, body scrubs, face care, body wash and soaps, lotions/butters, perfume/deodorant, nail products, and hair care.
         
HD Lip Paint samples in Truth or Dare and O.C.D., Color Rich Lipstick sample in Peach

Samples: 

Samples are available for most of the colour cosmetics, for around $1. They are packaged in clear plastic clamshells.

Kristin adds: I'm probably just spoiled by the massive samples of other indies but the eyeshadow samples are pretty sparse. We've done a swatch post with their eyeshadows and the jar pictures were taken on first arrival. The listings on the website say that eyeshadow samples contain .3g of product. The eyeshadow samples sell for $2 each.


Quality:

I haven't played around with all of the samples I have yet, but the first one I tried was the Color Rich Lipstick sample in Peach. I was hoping it would be more pigmented a bit creamier so I probably won't be purchasing a full-sized tube. I was much happier with the HD Lip Paints, they were richly pigmented and had an almost whipped texture that remind me of Lush's Lip Tint. As with any opaque matte lip product, I recommend making sure lips are well moisturised beforehand because they can be drying.

Kristin adds: The eyeshadows were nice and smooth on application. The product that I was most excited about were the Color Rich Lipsticks. On first application, it seemed like a perfect product! The lipstick felt great and the color was awesomely opaque. Unfortunately, after a bit it started slipping around and the color started to look patchy. The lipstick is very soft and started to lose its shape after one application straight from the bullet. It did that squish thing back into the tube. If you're looking for a short term but excellent looking product, try these out! They look fantastic for a short bit.

AG adds: Kristin kindly gave me a mini Whipped Body Frosting in the scent Honeysuckle to try out. It's thick but absorbs amazingly well - I think it felt fully absorbed within 30 seconds of rubbing it in, which is downright astonishing for such a thick lotion. It left me with a smooth, almost silicone-y feel after it had absorbed, though the product contains no silicones. Though the ingredients lists are vastly different, I found the texture and performance quite comparable to CeraVe's lotion tub. Delighted as I was by the product's performance, though, the scent was a major drawback. I found the Honeysuckle fragrance to be fake, overly sweet, and too strong for my taste. Much as I enjoy the formula, I find myself avoiding using the lotion because the scent can be headache-inducing. Make sure you love the scent, or purchase an unscented version, if you give this product a try!


Cost:

Due to the immense range I won't be comparing the prices of all the products, but from what I observed, the prices seem to be on par with other indie brands. One of their most popular products, the HD Lip Paints, are available for sale in 4 sizes: 3 samples for $4, $5 slim tubes, $5.50 5-gram jars, and $7.50 full size tubes. The jars contain the same weight as the tubes, so you can save some money if you'd prefer them in jar form.  

Customer Service:

I did not have to contact customer service, however they are very active on their Facebook page and appear to respond to most questions/comments quickly. 

Matte eyeshadow samples in Sepia, Fawn, Khaki, Ochre, and Nudey Booty; Mineral samples in Buff, Goddess Glow Bronzer, Illuminate Soft Focus Illuminize, Light Beige, and Translucent Mineral Veil 

TAT:

I couldn't find a turn-around-time listed on the site, but my order shipped two business days after it was placed.
 
Shipping:

According to their Shipping & Returns page, U.S. shipments are usually delivered in 3-7 days (USPS First Class Mail) or 2-3 days (Priority Mail). There are also Express Mail options (U.S. only) available for delivery within 1-2 business days.

I received my order 8 business days after it was shipped, which is pretty good for an international brand shipping to Australia.

I was a little bit surprised by the shipping cost, which was $15, since my order contained mostly samples with a few full-sized items. If I were to order again in the future, it would have to be a large order and probably during a sale to make the shipping cost worth it. On the website it states that international shipping costs ~$10-12 more than U.S. shipping.

Personal Thoughts:

I was more impressed by the large product range than I was with the quality of the samples I tried. While My Beauty Addiction is a great one-stop shop, I think I'd look to smaller indies who have perfected their product formulas. Not to say that anything was particularly bad, I wasn't terribly disappointed by anything and I've definitely been more upset with products I've bought from mainstream brands (both high-end and drugstore). I do recommend trying out the HD Lip Paints if you're after opaque, matte lip products, and especially if you're looking for them in non-conventional shades.

Have you tried My Beauty Addiction? What are your favourite products from them?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

3 comments:

  1. Too bad that the lipsticks aren't long lasting, that is so often a deal breaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the Color Rich lipsticks were not as long lasting as I had hoped, but the HD Lip Paints did last for a few hours and left a bit of a stain behind, I think because they're matte :)

      Delete