Thursday, June 5, 2014

By Kristin
MOI ("like the kissing sound-- mwah or muah" according to their facebook page) Cosmetics is a lesser known, Canada-based indie that sells cosmetics and soaps. I'm not sure but they may have gone through a rebranding in the past since in some places, they're also listed as "MOI Minerals."

According to their website, MOI Cosmetics opened in 2008. I have personally made one order with MOI Cosmetics and only have experience with their mineral cosmetics.


Packaging: 
Inconsistent. I ordered a couple blogger review kits which should have a mix of full sizes and minis and I honestly can't tell which are which. Some are labeled as "samples" but are in the same jars as others which aren't labeled as such. The labels are also all different. Only one jar out of twelve had a logo sticker on it.

Some jars had a sticker on the edge to keep them closed. Others didn't.

Selection: 
MOI minerals has both an Etsy shop and a dedicated website. On their Etsy shop, they only sell eyeshadows but they offer an assortment of other products on their website. They sell eyeshadows, blushes, a few lipsticks, and a few soaps regularly. They've also recently introduced a subscription service.

Samples: 
Eyeshadow samples are available as 1/8 tsp in either baggie or jar. Blush samples are available in 1/8 tsp jars. You can also purchase mini versions of lipsticks.

Quality:
I liked some of the shades but I found some of the eyeshadows to be overly gritty. In particular, Missy was a little rough to work with.

Cost:
Full sized eyeshadows are $6 but if you purchase the sample pack, the sample eyeshadows are $1/each in jars.

Customer Service:
No experience dealing with customer service!

TAT:
The listed TAT is 5-10 business days and the Etsy page states that the owner ships 3 times a week. I received a shipping notice three days after I placed my order and it was in my hands after ten days (very reasonable for coming from Canada!).

Shipping:
Shipping to the US starts at $4.95, Canada $3, and rest of world starts at $8.95.

Personal Thoughts:
The first thing that stands out to me about this indie is how professional looking their website is. Though they don't have a huge amount of products, it's very clean and straightforward. I was a little confused that they have links for "our stores" and "delivery" which makes me think that they're using a common template but I still appreciate the shopping process. There is also an option to "create an account" to track past and future purchases.

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with the company as a whole. For an indie that's been around since 2008, I was surprised to see the hand-written labels and the inconsistency just seemed really sloppy to me. This wouldn't have mattered as much to me if I had been blown away by the product but, though I thought there were some interesting colors in the mix, I wasn't overly impressed (and the grittiness >.<).

Have any of you tried MOI Cosmetics?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment of MOI - the inconsistency of the labels, the products themselves, and even the packaging (some jars of mine had a black cover, while others were clear) - just left a bad taste for me. Additionally, some of the labels on the jars were stickers, while others appeared to be like a cardstock paper that was glued onto the cover - but fell off almost instantly when I took them out of the bag - so now I don't know what half of the colors are anymore. Because there are so many indies out there now that have impeccable products and eye for details like that, along with competitive pricing and quality that amazes me... I just wouldn't shop with MOI again, unfortunately. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you had a similar experience! I always hope that a bad experience is always a one-off mistake. As you say, there are tons of amazing indies out there to buy from!

      Delete